We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near Peace Lodge

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Hotels near Peace Lodge

Can anyone recommend a hotel that's close to the Peace Lodge? We are attending a wedding there but can't stay at the Peace Lodge. We have a hotel in San Jose at that time but don't want to travel back to San Jose the night of the wedding. Ideallly, I'd like something for less than $100 and reasonably convenient to the Peace Lodge travel-wise.

Thanks in advance..

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

Poas volcano lodge is the closest for that price. Only 11 rooms.

It is pretty straight forward to get to Peace Lodge from Orquideas Inn in Alajuela but it will be about a 30 min or so ride up/down. Orquideas is on the edge of town.

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
306 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

ditto on poas volcano lodge. good reviews all over, architectural, paths, inexpensive, good to great food, e-mail responsive. we're staying there in june before a 2 week driving vacation based on these things. some standards at $75 but very special rooms around $100. remember it can get chilly so they say. sistereurope just returned too and had a positive experience-see her report in forums.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
524 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

Yes, the Poas Volcano Lodge would be your best bet. I'd say it's only about 15 or so minutes from the Peace Lodge. The standard rooms are small but clean and cost $87 per couple (including taxes) in high season. The free breakfast is very good, the lodge is beautiful and the people are very nice. I would stay there again.

Have a nice trip uptobat...be sure to check in when you return!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

We are two moms traveling with teen-aged girls to manuel antonio for 4 nights-on to arenal for 3 nights and than we will spend two nights,(one full day) at the peace lodge. we are wondering if after all that time in MA and Arenal--does anyone have insight as to whether it would be more interesting/enjoyable to end our trip at peace lodge or should we spend time in San Jose? is there enough to do at the peace lodge without traveling 30 + minutes since it is the end of a trip and we will have had enough driving at this point. thanks!

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
306 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

MD 1

We did our trip in reverse of yours. But we did not find Poas out of the way...plus the scenery up there is breathtaking.

We travelled the "backside" of the mountain ridge, not the Saarchi route and the drive was not bad. (our teens were not with us, however.)

Good restaurants, neat coffee fields, a close-up of a different volcano, once you're there.... .

From what I've heard and seen, you are not missing a whole lot, except for aggravating city driving, by skipping San Jose.

We LOVED Arenal, and it was clear our entire stay. I hope you have similar luck. Lots to do there if you search out. But you have to consider your airport drive, and to that extent Poas is a good area to easily get to the airport.

You may want to start a new topic on this question since you're on an old thread. You may get more uptodate info.

If you need more info about our 2-week drive, let me know. We loved Costa Rica.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

Thank you for this insight.

Since you were just there....we have 4 nights in manuel antonio and three in arenal---I am starting to think we should reverse that....what are your thoughts?

b

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

Nothing close by ...the only option Poas Volcano Lodge...and Orquideas Inn is a kind of iffi place...maybe the best get a Hotel in Heredia or Alajuela...and drive the wedding day up the hill about 1 hour and 30 minutes...maybe less..

Luis Road Advisors

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
306 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

MD 1

It depends on your flight schedule.

I believe you would be able to get to Poas Lodge within the time-frame that Roadadvisor stated, maybe less.

It was a nice comfy place and a lot cheaper than Peace Lodge. Posts here indicate Peace Lodge is a sight to see, unto itself, but that's not our cup of tea.

Back to flights.... we arrived at SJO in afternoon and the drive up to Poas got us there just before dark and fog. But we had a great meal on the way up, in a wonderful outdoor setting, in the mist. We were able to rest up for the next day trip to Arenal, no problem.

After Monteverde and Samara, we headed to MA for a few nights. By leaving MA very early we had a pleasant trip back to SJO, including a nice breakfast with a view, enroute. We needed to be at airport around noon.

In our case, when we arrive at our destination airport, we are not in any condition for a longish trip and that's why we hustled up to Poas at the start.

You will have a blast there, either way. Since I discovered Tripadvisor, alot of the fun is just in the planning. By the way, we did 13 of our 14 nights in the off-season, without lodging reservations. We did reserve for our first night.(at Poas)

9. Re: Hotels near Peace Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 06:19