We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Recommendations

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Recommendations

Dear fellow tripadvisors,

We are two adults and a 2.5 year old Baby visiting CR for the first time in a week or so. Our itinerary includes first night at Alajuela/SJO; 2 nights at Arenal, flight to Quepos + 3 nights at Manuel Antonio and One last night at SJO/Alajuela.

Question:

1. We are looking for recommendations on travel companies that can take us from our hotel in Alajuela to Arenal. Should we consider a shuttle service from Interbus/Grayline or are there reliable companies you wise folk have experience with? I have read about Easyrider (but read bad things, including not being picked up at all). Has anyone used Anywhere Costa Rica?

2. Same question for last day - Quepos to SJO - should we fly or should we use a shuttle or another private transfer?

3. Should we bring our own car seat? I know the shuttle buses/tour companies provide one and some are free. But if we are taking cabs within a city say Quepos or La Fortuna, can we keep the baby in our lap? Or do we need to lug our carseat around?

Note: we are not flying to Arenal because we found that flights from SJO to Arenal fly via Quepos!

Thank you!

Gg

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Recommendations

Anywhere Costa Rica is a good company, no worries. I would go for private transfers if it were me. You can try any of the following solutions. Danny, Diego, and Tucan get a lot of positive reviews, but they are all good options.

PRIVATE DRIVERS

Odyssey Tours (Diego and Alvaro) - info@odysseytourscr.com

Oscar Chavarria - oscardrivercr@gmail.com

Willy - w_opciones@yahoo.com

Wilson - wilson_elsy@yahoo.com

Carlos Bogarin - encantados@ice.co.cr

Danny Jimenez - crdannytravels@yahoo.com

Leo Rodriguez - leratravelcr@yahoo.com

Juan Carlos and Rubier - tjtransfers@gmail.com

Tucan Limousines - rocio@tucanlimoservices.com

For the car seats ask whoever you contact if they provide them.

Cheers

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Recommendations

If you want your child in a car seat please bring one with you. Do not expect taxis or your hotels to have available car seats for your use. If I were you I'd hire private drivers for your transfers even though it's a little bit more expensive than shuttle buses as it will give you much more freedom with your schedule and a young child. You can contact roadadvisor who is an experienced driver or just do a search on this website for other recommended drivers.

If you are coming in the next week I would recommend driving from MA to SJO rather than flying. This is the tail end of rainy season and you won't have to worry about a flight cancellation if there is a storm. The 3-hour drive is a chance to see a lovely corner of Costa Rica with a brief stop at the Tarcoles bridge to view huge crocodiles in the river below.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,651 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Recommendations

Dear Gg29..

Let try to answer your questions...

1- With a baby is nice to have your own space...and flexibility to stop anywhere...shuttles like Interbus are nice and good prices...but you have to follow set up times and places to meet them...at the end paying a private driver in your case is not going to be a huge difference...but worth it to pay...

2- Quepos to SJO nice ride...and you can find good rides...

3- Any proffesional private company will provide a car seat under request...any way is the law...the taxi driver will be responsible for the baby security inside of his car...in my case as a pprofessional driver I do not allowed any kid for a long or short period of time seating at any other passenger laps.

roadadvsior

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Recommendations

Thanks all,

Incabod - great list!

CRfan - I think you misunderstood, we are not expecting hotels to provide car seats (that's absurd) but we know private transfers do for no fee as it is required by law.

Roadadvisor - thank you - as I mentioned, we are not looking to have a baby on our lap for any long distance trips. But if we step out of our hotel for a meal or for a short excursion, should we expect to carry our car seat around everywhere? So if I take a 10 minute local cab ride, am I expected to carry a car seat with me at all times?

Edited: 14 November 2012, 19:39
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Recommendations

roadadvisor - looks like you had answered someone else's question about local taxi rides within Arenal etc. and here is what you said:

"By law a taxi most have a car seat...but also by the same law in short rides they can drive without it...make sense?...I have no idea but that is the way it is...if you can bring a small child seat, better for you!...

roadadvisor"

We'll try to carry it along but it's good to know we don't have to worry about short rides.

6. Re: Transportation Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 14:19