We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

Hi,

I'm going on a tour of Costa Rica with Gadventures in a few weeks time, and am very severely afraid of spiders. I was wondering if anyone knows what the spider situation is like at this time of year, and how bad it will be? I can prepare myself for seeing some trekking or outside, but I'm definitely not too keen on having any in hotel rooms etc.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the chance of having this situation happen?

Any advice much appreciated!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Bushmaster Adventures Costa Rica
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Manakin Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Central American Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,953 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

I travel around Costa Rica daily...and honestly I hardlyy see them...

Roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

I agree with Luis, they aren't that common inside. I always stay in places next to or in the jungle and I think I might have seen one or two in the many months I've accumulated over the years.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

I understand this is a phobia, and as such, not easily rationalized away, but spiders are beautiful and amazing creatures. And reason for far less concern than lets say local bus and truck drivers...

One of my favorite tours in the country is the night tour given by Tracie Stice, "The Bug Lady" down in Drake Bay, in which spiders feature prominently.

Perhaps something like hypnotherapy to knock out the fear would be worth a shot?

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

2 weeks in costa rica, only spider's I saw were 2 on a night hike (hidden, out guide specifically looked for them) and 2 on a day hike (again, wouldn't have seen them if not for our guide).

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

I agree with the others this will not be a problem. Mostly only find them if you are looking for them.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

I had a similar fear for snakes and for sharks. Both fears were gone after my first encounter with a snake in the wild and when I started scuba diving. It may help you if you ask a guide to teach about spiders. By standing in front of a web, hearing about how they live, what they do etc. could take a big chunk out of your fear.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

I'm with the rest. Very rare to see spiders and I was expecting to see a lot. Unlike GeckoesLodge though, my fear of snakes has developed since being here! Fortunately, it is really unusual to see them either without the help of a guide.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

ditto, spiders rare in CR, I was once bitten by a brown recluse (in another country) so you can imagine my fear, I don't care if they eat other bugs, I will kill every one I see.

You should be more concerned about the roaches, I had one in my bed in a hotel, so choose your property carefully. Safe travels and enjoy.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

I really haven't seen tons of spiders here! As a precaution though, if you have a traveling companion, send them into the hotel room to make a quick visual scan of corners, ceiling and shower. In the event, you do have an unwelcome visitor, it can be quickly disposed of and you will rest easier. Hope it helps!

Edited: 24 November 2012, 14:23
10. Re: Fear of spiders - how bad will this be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 22:16