We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

We'll be flying into San Jose and spending a few days in Manuel Antonio in March and then going to the Nayara Hotel in Nuevo Arenal for four days.

We're debating about which transportation option to use. Neither of us really love to drive, so we're going to take private transportation from SJO to Manuel Antonio and from Nuevo Arenal back to SJO. Has anyone used the private transportation services and did you feel you were missing out on anything? I feel that maybe by sitting back and relaxing, you may actually get to see more things instead of keeping an eye on the road.

Our bigger decision is if we should take NatureAir from Quepos to La Fortuna. It sounds like a very long drive and since we're only in CR for 7 days, I don't know if the drive would be worth it. Has anyone used NatureAir for that flight?

Finally, if we did drive from Quepos to La Fortuna, is it possible to rent a car in Manuel Antonio and leave it in Arenal/La Fortuna?

Thanks everyone!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

Nature air is a good option, if you want to enjoy the scenery try contacting http://tucanlimoservices.com/ , they have nice cars and english speaking drivers.

The mountains from Fortuna to San Ramon are really nice to see, maybe a crocodile tour as you go towards Quepos.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,181 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

I agree with jose. It's a long but scenic drive from MA to Arenal (4.5-5 hours +stops). I think using a private driver is a good idea, although you may want to make sure you hire an English soeaking driver so you can have some interesting conversations en route.

The plane ride departs Quepos at 7:55 and arrives Arenal at 11:50. The airstrip in Arenal is roughly a 30 minute drive from the hotel. If you left your hotel in MA at 7 AM with a private driver, you could be at Nayara by 1 PM with a lunch break.

Minor detail: Arenal Nayara is not located in Nuevo Arenal which is 30-40 minutes away and not a tourist destination. The hotel is located on the main road between La Fortuna and the Arenal volcano.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

The NatureAir flights from Quepos to Arenal/La Fortuna are the absolute best option for the trip. I do it almost monthly and it is so worth it! The cost is a bit more than a private shuttle, but the time it saves you is incredible! The flight itself is super fast, mostly comfortable and well worth the extra money.

You can rent a car with Alamo and do a one-way rental, but it costs at extra $50.00 USD for the one-way drop fee. And it's quite a hike!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

It is possible to rent a car in M.A and return it at Arenal...La Fortuna...check with Alamo...it is a nice ride about 4.5 hours good roads all the way...

Yes ...check that Arenal Nayara is just 8 minutes or so from La Fortuna....Nuevo Arenal is about 40 minutes from La Fortuna...

Of course flying is nice...but drive is also nice if you only have to do it once in a life time...I do the drive very often...and I love it...

Roadadvisor

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

Its really a personal call on this. The flights are timesaving and super convenient. Its easy enought to taxi or transfer to the air stips (but book the full fare flight with full luggage allowance, as opposed to the slightly cheaper promo fares which have restrictions on your luggage weight and you wind up paying the difference in bag fees unless you pack super light). The drive is long (plan on 6 hrs with stops at a minimum, more if you want to tour en route), but there's a lot to see on the way going through the Central Valley and lots of nice options for lunch or short sightseeing stops, like the coffee plantations, and Poas Volcano, etc depending on the route you take. You can easily do the drive yourself as the roads are curvy up in the mountains, but well paved and not too complicated in terms of directions, but if you're planning to sightsee along the way a private driver is probably the way to go

6. Re: NatureAir Quepos to La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 01:15