We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

My 15 year old son and I are going to CR in August and want to spend a few days in Corcovado Nationsl Park. My questions are:is there another destination that could be accomplished within the same 11 days? Do we really need to rent a car?

I'm not interested in surfing or any zip lining. We both love animals and food. I like shopping for local crafts and he likes scuba diving.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,279 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

For Corcovado part I suggest you to stay in Drake Bay, and to fly in and fly out. % days will give you both plenty of time to visit inside La Sirena ranger station and to scuba dive. Second destination without a car in August? For sure Puerto Viejo on Caribbean side. Easy to reach with local bus, nice beaches, a lot of wildlife and two very good National Parks. And the food is different there.

Edited: 09 December 2012, 09:09
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,279 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

Some more info based on "without a rental car".

Drake Bay is a place where a rental car is obsolete. It has the easiest approach to La Sirena ranger station (the heart of Corcovado NP) by boat. It is also the exit point for scuba diving on Cano Island Biological reserve. A night walk with The Bug Lady is a must do by anyone that was already there. If budget is a concern, several lodges have reasonable prices, like Finca Maresia. Flying with Nature Air from SJO is less expensive then renting a car. 5 days would be just enough time here. Corcovado is situated at the southern part of the Pacific coast. Weather can be rainy ... or not.

Puerto Viejo is also situated on the south, but on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. You need to go back to SJO and using a local bus is easy and cheap way to reach it. The weather here is much drier in that period. Lot of sunny days. Three small towns are there, Cahuita, Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. You can use the local bus to travel between them. Cahuita and Manzanillo are small enough to walk them in less then an hour (all streets + coffee stop). Puerto Viejo is more stretched along the coast, having several beaches, Punta Uva being the most famous. Most of the tourists are using bikes. Not to be missed for wildlife are Cahuita NP and Manzanillo NP. There is good snorkeling at Cahuita NP (guided only, from boat) and near Manzanillo NP. For local craft visit one of the BriBri villages. Full array of lodges in every price category. Food here tends to be better as the influences of Caribbeans spices are stronger.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

Drake Bay is great. No doubt about it.

The other main access to Corcovado National Park is Puerto Jimenez, which just happens to have one of the better small gallery and craft shops in the country, Karen's Jagua Gallery. This, and Namu, in San Jose are two of the best if you're looking for authentic indigenous and creative contemporary works...

With 11 days you'll have no problem adding in another destination. You'll probably be flying in and out of SJO. You could dedicate 6-7 days to the Osa/Corcovado and still have time for any number of other popular options:

Monteverde, Arenal, San Gerardo de Dota, and the Caribbean coast as mentioned...

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

Long story short: Puerto Jimenez if you want to do the all-day hike in and then again out. Drake Bay if you want to do the 1.5 hour boat in and out. Boat ride is open ocean, so it's no joke either.

August is usually a fairly wet period there.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely go to Drake Bay and then look into the places others mentioned for the second destination.

6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 11 days in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 00:16