We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

Hola!

We are two families with three children 5, 6 and 9 yrs old. Everyone recommends visiting Tabacon Hot Springs, and we have the time to get there around 1 pm after our Skytram tour. I can buy either the Day Pass or Day Pass with Dinner, but for the price they charge, my question is what do you do there until evening? I mean, how much can you just soak in the springs and how long can kids keep playing on the water slides? Is there something else at Tabacon that will keep us adults occupied and the kids engaged? Any other activities? Please help me decide.

Thanks,

D

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
733 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

There's a mix of hot and less hot and some cool pools. There's a popular waterfall to sit under and receive a hydro massage. There's a new adult's only area, a big, fancy spa, and a large main pool with a swim-up bar on one end and a small water slide on the other.

That said a couple of hours is usually more than enough for most people.

Moreover, younger kids tend not to be overly enthralled with and probably should not have too much exposure to really hot pools...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

For adults maybe nice some full body massage or mud mask...kids will be hard to get them out out there...at leasg my kids....we have to drag them out of the pools...there or Eco Termales...

Please report PM soliciting...some people love to reccomend phantom travel services or themselves lets help TA to get rid of that ugly unethical practice...

Roadadvisor

Edited: 12 December 2012, 13:40
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

We turned down Tabacon/Eco as they were so expensive and we just couldn't justify the cost. Especially as our hotel (Montana de Fuego) had a perfectly nice little set itself.

Especially if taking a whole family it seems a lot of money for little activity.

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
838 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

If your hotel has a hot tub, take a nice soak there and save yourself a pocketful of cash. For me, it was our least favorite place/adventure on our trip. We were all soaked out within an hour and decided to have a drink in the lower pool only to say we stayed a bit longer for our $$$. Teens took a few trips on the slide.

There was barely anyone there when we went in the night time slot, so being crowded was not an issue for us. We spent a lot of money over two weeks on adventures and activities in CR. Tabacon was the only place which didn't deliver for the price for us.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

I'm good for about 3 hours max at any given hot springs. There is not all that much to do but baste yourself then baste some more... Like a giant human soup!!!

As far as what the adults do? 5 words "Full Service Swim up Bar"

Personally I think most of the hot springs up that way are pretty pricey for what you get. IMO worth going to check out but I normally hit some of the smaller less expensive ones these days, or I just hit Tabaconcita which is free and the same exact water you get at Tabacon, just a bit further down river...

Edited: 12 December 2012, 16:37
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

You might also look at the complex at The Springs, its less expensive than Tabacon, has two different main thermal water complexes, including one with a waterslide. They also have the new adventure park area at Club Rio with additional activities if you're so inclined, plus all their pools are a little less hot than Tabacon, which may be more accessible for the kids (stayed there a couple of years ago with my 8 yr old at the time and she was able to go into all the pools without issue). The complex at the Los Lagos hotel would be another less expensive option, also with several waterslides and a swim up bar, but not as upscale in terms of the facilities as either Tabacon or the Springs.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

My vote also for Tabaconcito. As another option, if you're staying at Hotel Kokoro there are hot springs on site, and if you're lucky you'll have the place all to yourselves!

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

Hi:

I am the OP... ...returned from Costa Rica last week. I did bite the bullet and go to the Tabacon Hot Springs. And I am absolutely thrilled that I did it. It was a treat for the entire family to soak and play in the different thermal springs and pools. We bought the Day Pass with Lunch since dinner was booked on Christmas day. Lunch buffet was alright but that was never meant to be the highlight. The ambience, the surroundings, the views and the experience was totally worth the money we spent.

Kids loved the water slide, and we grown ups just loved sitting under the waterfall for an awesome shoulder massage! :-) We were there from 12 noon till about 6 pm. No doubt this place is expensive, but you should check it out at least once if you are in the area.

Pura Vida!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

NIce to know that you enjoy your visit to our country!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tabacon Hot Springs: What do you do for the entire day?

The real treat was when Arenal Volcano was active, at night you could lounge about and see the lava flow and spewing against the night sky, but its has been dormant the year. Still a lovely garden of eden, and the spa is great, get massages at night, they light candles and incense and you listen to river below flow under the spa bungelow, divine!