We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

This is loosely travel related; I will try and get away with it. Tonight is the peak of the Geminid meteor shower. We have pretty dark skies here in Costa Rica in comparison to whatever city you may be from. Folks in New York rarely see any stars at all for instance; same goes for most major cities…

Point being, if you are living in or traveling the country right now; take a few moments to look up tonight! Normally you get about 1 meteor a minute with this shower, but many are saying you could see as many as 100 – 150 meteors an hour this year. The new moon will guarantee a very dark night tonight; this should be the best meteor shower of the year!

Pretty easy to locate this, if you can find the constellation Orion then you can find Gemini. Find the Red Star in Orion named Betelgeuse (top of Orion), Gemini constellation is close by to this (looking for the star Castor in Gemini to be specific if you know your stars), no worries, looking in the vicinity or just up in general you will see meteors. You can start looking as early as 10pm and will peak around 2am.

You can get a bit more info here earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/ten-tips-f…

Cheers!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

Nice...I like this

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

Do you know of there will be any leftovers tomorrow (Friday) night?

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

Thank you so much. I have notified all of my CR friends. We saw just such a shower a few years ago and it was spectacular!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

There has been a pretty good showing leading up to tonight Sonny, last night was a bit cloudy but the night before that I saw 35 meteors in about 45 minutes, which is pretty cool.

Little cloudy where I am right now but hopefully will be cleared up. There will be a smaller showing on Friday but tonight's the peak. Good luck all you meteor hunters, never forget to look up in life!

Cheers

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

pretty good show so far

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

Gracias inca!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

Last night was pretty good, did not see as many as I wanted but some some good ones. Ill be out again tonight looking up!

8. Re: Costa Rica skies are pretty dark…

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:15