We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map of new toll road

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Map of new toll road

I am coming to CR in Feb. and will be traveling from Alejuela to Punta Uva to Mal Pais to Samara to Liberia over the course of 2 weeks. I have been to CR many times but would like to use the new toll road to go from Punta Uva to Mal Pais. My problem is that I dont know the new toll road (Ive only been on it once) and I havent found a map with the new road on it. Can anyone reccomend a map that has the new road on it?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Map of new toll road

I think you are a bit confused about the "new toll road" which basically goes from the San Jose area to the Puntarenas area.

The new road is Hwy 27 and is on many maps, including the excellent map from mapcr.com that you can buy through Amazon.

You can also look here: www.yourtravelmap.com

I'm surprised that you did not know this with your many trips to Costa Rica.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Map of new toll road

That is a lot of driving, its 5 hours from SJ to Punta Uva, south of Pt Viejo. This RT 32 the entire way, via Limon.

Its 6 hours from SJ to Samara or Mal Pais.

For western Pacific beaches, the EXPENSIVE toll road is from Alajeula to Puntarenas, from there, you would take ferry to Tambor, then 2 lane road to Mal Pais. From Liberia, you can access Samara via a nice road thru Santa Cruz and Nicoya. You can NOT drive between Mal Pais/Montezuma areas, and Samara, along the coast, there is a too large of river to cross, even with a 4x4, in rainy season not possible at all. You need to go back to the ferry and Puntarenas, then back down to Nicoya, or, got the small trail like road (dry season) from Tambor to Paquera and over to Nicoya, then down to Samara, you ned a SUV/good high ground clearance as well, ask locals first at turn off/gas stations if its passable.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 14:09
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Map of new toll road

EXPENSIVE is a relative term. I know that people who drive the toll road every day get annoyed at the extra expense, but for a tourist, it won't seem expensive.

For the best road advice, check here: www.yourtravelmap.com which has distances, travel times and directions.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Map of new toll road

Sorry about the confusing and wrong road advices by your fello friend from Chicago..

To drive fro Ma Pais or Montezuma to Samara...OF COURSE YOU DO NOT need to take any ferry...that is insane and wasting time and money...you just drive back to Cobano...and take the road to Nandayure..Jicaral...then to Nicoya ...then to Samara...thecl road is in good shape...

From San Jose to Punta Uva ...the road 32 is in great shape...of course common sense...I drove there two days ago..3 hours 45 minutes...

From Samara to San Jose no more than four hours...

I think some body need to buy a map and is not you or Hattie..

New road goes from San Jose to Orotina that is the section where the toll booths are located...no more than $3.00 the whole way..EXPENSIVE???

That is road 27...great new road...I thing somebody need the 71 trip to Costa Rica...

Roadadvisor

Edited: 26 December 2012, 15:16
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Map of new toll road

Taking the back road to Montezuma/Mal Pais is not the easiest way if in a small sedan, nor in rainy season. Also, the ferry ride is great, all locals usually a relaxing, get some seafood in Puntarenas and a Cervesa while you wait...

As for making it from SJ to Pt Viejo in 3.45, thats great, I have done in in 3 hours, and also taken 6 hours, when trees/landslides or accidents...

Edited: 26 December 2012, 21:25
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Map of new toll road

If you are here in Feb., it IS NOT the rainy season, it is one of driest months, the dust is your only enemy!

The ferry goes from Puntarenas to Paquera, then you drive on to Tambor and Cobano along a paved road, just be aware of potholes, then along a dirt, wash-board road to Mal Pais.

There is a 'back-road' between Cabuya and Mal Pais and it has been recently graded. There has been very little rain during the past rainy season, so the roads on the south Nicoya Peninsula are in relatively good shape.

The coastal route from Mal Pais to Samara is very passable and the rivers are low. The only requirement is a good, high clearance 4x4.

If you are going from San Jose to Samara or vice versa, the route across the 'Friendship Bridge' at the north end of the Gulf of Nicoya is a much faster route than taking either one of the ferries to cross the gulf.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Map of new toll road

Thank you wefish...and you know the area...!!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Map of new toll road

Who is talking about taking the back road from Montezuma to Samara??

A nice person asked about how to get from Montezuma to Samara...and some people that have not a clue about our roads ...was suggesting to drive back to the ferry ...back to Puntarenas ...then to Limonal to take Amistad Bridge road to Nicoya then to Samara...

That is maybe the worse advice I have ever seen in any travel forum...even the thorn tree...mundane??

Any local or visitor...with a nice or even terrible map...will doo..Santa Tereza-Mal Pais or Montezuma to Cobano...to Jicaral...to Nandayure to Nicoya to Samara...that is the correct way...

Of course if you like to drive more hours...and spend time in a nice ferrry boat...go that way...but is going to be a long day...

As I understand you are coming in Febr...that is a DRY month...rainy season?? I thing somebody is taking to many cervezas..

I hope they put back the thorn tree...more intelectulals there and not so many mundane questions...please!!

Another mistake...road 32 will take you to Limon then you have to take road 36...no wonder how somebody drove to Limon in 3 hours...the question was to Puerto Viejo...road 32 does not go all the way to Puerto Viejo...sorry once again!

roadadvisor

Edited: 27 December 2012, 03:22
San Jose
Level Contributor
257 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Map of new toll road

If you have a smart phone I can recommend you to buy a prepaid sim card wsith internet and you can download Waze for free, an excelent app to navigate Costa Rica. Also you can buy an app called IGO, it's an offline app so you don't need to buy a sim card but you have to pay for the application

10. Re: Map of new toll road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 10:16