We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

Hi, I am flying into San Jose on the 5th and land around 2:30. I do not want to stay in San Jose and plan to leave right away but not too sure which area I should head to first that is nice and not too long of a treck to get to. Anyone have any ideas of where I should start my adventure? I am looking to do all sorts of things from surging, ziplining, waterfall repelling, volcano, hiking, kayaking etc. so anywhere cool would work.

thanks for any input

Cheers

Liz

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

With three weeks, you have a lot of time to see a lot. I would buy a guidebook and figure out what appeals to you. There are multiple areas in the country that allow you to do everything you've listed.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

That's a nice long trip. The closest that I can think of would be the Arenal Volcano. Probably a good place / area for you to start.

Can we get a few more details to help you. Are you a public bus person or renting a car? Fancy hotels or cheap?

Montezuma Expeditions will get you around to all sorts of places by private bus (10-14 passengers) for $40-$50 a location.

Other than that, Montezuma is my favorite place in the country. Low key, multiple waterfalls, on the Pacific ocean. It's near Mal Pais and Santa Teresa.

Gary

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

You can also try to get a bus to Manuel Antonio National Park area...just 3 hours from SJO...and plenty buses about one each hour...everything you are looking for...great place to start your vacation...

By the way WELCOME to Costa Rica...

Roadadvisor

Edited: 27 December 2012, 18:46
Duluth, GA
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

We are going to check out the Best Festival, Rhythm in the Rainforest, in in Costa Ballena on the 9th and 10th.

It’s not that adventurous, but it should be pretty cool. I have not heard of the bands before, but their clips sound like it will be a great time.

www.thebestfestival.com

February is in the middle of the season for humpback whale watching, so we are going to try that. A Whale and a Toucan in the wild, are still on the bucket list.

canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

Wow thx people for the advice! That's great! We are totally fine travelling by bus. I was in Belize last jan and travelled that way and loved being amongst the locals but also don't want to take a day getting somewhere :). As for the accommodations, I will be there a week by myself so plan to stay at some hostels to meet people. Any ideas of some nice higher end hostels?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

The easiest from SJO, as you arrive 230, clear Immigration/customs, then get car, its now 4pm, gets dark at 530, so head to Paos Volcano lodge, 45 minutes north of airport, then next morning, drive to park, hike and enjoy, and then move on to either La Paz or Grecia/La Fortuna, via Sarchi. Rule#1, dont drive at night long distances in CR...just t dinner/cafes....

Get a guidebook like MOON or Lonely Planet. Highlights of CR for nature, wildlife and eco systems are Osa-Corcovado, Tortuguero Canals (no cars), Rincon/Tenorio and Cano Negro. Hit Arenal for a few nights too...mix in beach as see fit.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 23:13
7. Re: Costa Rica from Feb 5 - Feb 26

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2013, 10:17