We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental places are booked for January

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Car rental places are booked for January

Wild rider, Vamos, Adobe are booked solid.

Alamo, Hertz, Avis, Toyota, Mapache are more than 50% higher in price.

Did I miss any?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

Europcar...try Expedia...it is peak high season....

Edited: 29 December 2012, 03:33
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

I am sorry, but having been on this forum for quite a few years, I don't think I can, in good conscience, let anyone recommend Europcar in Costa Rica without issuing a word of warning. Their track record is about as appalling as Economy's...

Of course, it's all up to the individual renter and it is possible that solohobo has had a good experience with them. It appears from posts on this forum, that most renters do not...

Try this link for recommendations:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5931…

If you see a significant difference in price, I would think that you are looking at some quotes that include the mandatory liability insurance versus some that don't.

My primary rental company in Costa Rica has long been Alamo - I have used them 100+ times. However, I have also had good experiences with Budget but will say that I have read several negative reviews this year. I have used Budget nowhere near as often as Alamo but the times that I have used them, they were equally straightforward. I have also used Dollar several times and, although I always somehow felt uneasy, never had a negative experience with them.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

The differences in prices account for the mandatory insurance. It is just...a difference in prices.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

I find that rather odd - I have always found that prices are pretty comparable across the various companies. Sure, there is always some variation, but 50% seems over the top?

I have no idea what else could be the reason if it is not the mandatory insurance... Perhaps they are really trying to take advantage of the peak season.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

I agree about Europcar - I would avoid them.

Some others to look at: Solid, Service, National, Tricolor.

Be sure to check to see if the quote includes the mandatory liability insurance. Some agencies include it in their quote - some don't. And that could account for the high prices.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

Try TREBOL car rental. They have an office here in La Fortuna and they've been great to work with...check them out: http://www.trebolrentacar.com/. I do know that they work in San Jose as well...hope this helps! :-)

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

Europcar have a pretty grim reputation. Vamos and Wild Rider usually have good reviews and prices which is why they are sold out, I guess, but I'm surprised the others would be so much more expensive. All companies charge more in high season but the price difference isn't usually so noticeable. Service, Solid and National are all reputable and reasonable as Hattie states.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

@framptonian, I would say it was up to 50% more. Example would be Wild Rider is around $350 vs Alamo which was $500+ for the same 4x4 class, National was $480 and Toyota was definitely 50% more.

I went with Service Car Rental. Hopefully they email me back and confirm my reservation that I booked online.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 19:27
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

That's very interesting. Like I said, I have never encountered such tremendous differences. With Wild Rider, I could possibly see that their prices are lower since their vehicles tend to be significantly older.

I don't know anything about Service. If you remember, please let us know how your experience went. People are always eager to learn about good rental companies.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental places are booked for January

Like Framptonian, I think that is a huge difference. it could be that some of the companies aren't being upfront about insurance or taxes such as airport tax.