We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

Hey,

I am looking into 5 nights here in Costa Rica the next month or so and want to know some advice on planning my trip. I love latin women and night life and meeting locals is a must for me. I have heard San Jose is dangerous at night but also has the best nightlife so coming alone I would like to know how to get around that. Also I have heard Jaco has some great nightlife as well and maybe much safer? I am going to do a tour for the volcano/ hot springs and another tour for the manuel antonio park but would like to spend my nights out dancing and meeting local women. What do you recommend should I get a hotel in San Jose for a couple nights than one in Jaco for a couple nights? Trying to find the right mix for this and to do the activities.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

With only five nights, you would need to plan on only two locations, depending on when your flight arrives/leaves. You may need to spend your first/last night somewhere near the airport.

If you want to see Arenal and Manuel Antonio, you won't have any problem finding good nightlife.

www.arenal.net

www.manuelantoniopark.com

www.yourtravelmap.com - for distances and travel times

Edited: 04 January 2013, 01:33
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

Wait so If I visit arenal or manuel there will be nightlife at those spots? I would like to do one night in san Jose for nightlife just because I hear it is good, then I guess I can do to arenal for 2 days and manuel for the other 2 and book hotels over there? I wasn't aware there is nightlife at those locations I thought it was just do the activities than go to bed and do them again tomorrow.. I heard Jaco and San Jose had the best nightlife..

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

San Jose and Jaco both have good nightlife. If that's what you want, then why not just go to South Beach? Or the Bahamas?

There is nightlife in the town of La Fortuna and also nightlife near Manuel Antonio and the town of Quepos.

Maybe do a little bit of research about these two areas. It's kind of a waste to travel all the way to Costa Rica just to meet "ladies." Costa Rica is all about nature and nature activities. There's nothing wrong, of course, in mixing a little fun at night with your daytime excursions. But you don't have to go to a place that has a choice of 50 bars to enjoy yourself.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

Manuel Antonio is the last place a single guy should go, you getting advice for a 50+ woman....

MA is best for Honeymooners, Couples, and families, and a gay current on weekends...

Arenal is fine with a limited amount of time, just a typical place with mostly tourist. if you want to meet nice local ticas, then San Jose is the place, there is a ton of great places to hang out and enjoy nightlife, weekends, El Pueblo, weekdays, around the Uni and San Pedro, more monied and sophisticated crowd is up in Escazu.

But to come all the way to CR and stay in SJ, a crowded, polluted, congested and dodgy at night place, is missing the point of coming to all the nature, national parks and wildlife, beaches and surf towns to hang in.

I would go to Pt Viejo if I were you, a good euro crowd there and people like to party and chill, and its gorgeous.

Otherwise, unless you know Spanish, the only locals you met will be the freelancers and working girls, which are all over SJ. Nice girls, usually dont want to be seen with a gringo unless your hot or loaded.

Safety is all relative...SJ can be managed fine, take taxis and leave valuable in the hotel. Same applies for all of CR/CA.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

SoloHobo is, unfortunately, wrong about a lot of things to do with Costa Rica. This is one of them.

As I said - do some research. Maybe these will help a bit:

"...The Official Quepos Pub Crawl

The X-games of drinking take place day and night in a smattering of downtown bars, which also offer an assortment of dining options as well as the perfect stage for a pub crawl. The most practical starting point for a pub crawl is Dos Locos, because the open-air bar's vivid green and yellow colors make it easy for everyone to find. After a beer or Guaro Sour, you can turn left and hit up Sargento Garcia’s, a local watering hole and lively atmosphere. Across from the Quepos waterfront is El Gran Escape with a tasty selection of cocktails and beers. Once the sunsets, make sure to visit Musik, above Century 21, or Republik for dancing the night away...."

arenalreservationcenter.com/night_life.html

There are other websites you could look at also.

While not the same nightlife as Jaco or San Jose, it is unlikely you will be approached by "working girls" or drug dealers.

And yes, many Costa Rican ladies are interested in "gringos" other than their money or if they're "hot." I don't think SoloHobo is giving the Costa Rican ladies enough credit.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

Arenal/la fortuna is very tame from a nightlife perspective but great for day time activities. Manuel antonio has Quepos at least (tho we personally didn't like the vibe). SJO just seems like a waste of an air-fare unless you're coming all the way over just for the hookers, it offers nothing exceptional/worth making the trip otherwise.

I'd be tempted to say fly into Liberia and spend all 5 days in Tamarindo. Good nightlife, plenty of girls (tho maybe a little light on locals), nice beach and stuff to do during the day.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

if you end up in Manuel Antonio there is plenty of action in quepos, the town next to ma, you actually have to go through quepos to get to ma. I can't remember any names but i'm sure others here can help with that.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

Ok awesome, yes guys thanks for the advice, I live in Miami so that is why I don't go to South Beach, and I love the nature aspect and want to go do the tours during the day, but at night I always enjoy going out drinking and meeting the locals. Costa Rica appeals to me because that is my taste of women and also just sight seeing the culture. I have an overnight flight too so not sure how that works but the check in time at the hotel will be like 2am... I will probably head to sleep then do a tour that day.. Just deciding if my main hotel should be maybe one day in San Jose or in Jaco, and should I rent a car? or since I am going alone I would be better off doing the tours and meeting people on the tour buses etc... instead of renting a car and driving agree?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

Ahh Yes, Hattie, Quepos, a smelly hot port and canning town with dumpy bars and no beach....you are the best!

You say I am wrong about Jaco in anther post, and now admit there is working girls and drug dealers...which is it? Quepos is not a cool scene, unless you are a gringo bored stiff.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 13:39
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concerned safety solo 24 year old male night life.. trip hel

David E has given you the best advice of all!

Fly into Liberia LIR and head for Tamarindo. It's a beach town that fits your requirements and much closer to the airport than Jaco or Manuel Antonio to SJO.

You get the advantages of the great nightlife without the disadvantages of the city or the "fleshpots" of Jaco.

In addition, you can easily do some "nature" type activities during the day.

Good thinking, David!

Edited: 04 January 2013, 13:58