We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

We are staying at Coconut Grove in Dominical in early March, and were planning on taking an all-day Corcovado National Park Tour. It will be myself, husband and 9 year old son. I'm now wondering if there are other tours in the area better suited for a 9 year old (mostly concerned about how hot & humid it's likely to be, and whether that will seem fun to my son).

We plan to leave most of our time unstructured (we'll have a car, and plan to explore the area), but would also like to take advantage of opportunities to take guided tours for seeing wildlife and perhaps snorkeling. I realize there are loads of possibilities in the area, but am looking for feedback from folks who might be familiar with the tours - especially if you have taken them with children. Thanks!

Edited: 04 January 2013, 23:57
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

Great question...one advice...be carefull with some strong rip tides around some beaches there...some nice hikes to some great waterfalls...you can send a PM to Thomas at the Uvita , Dominical forum...he is a great person and knows the area and tours beter than any body...

The One day Corocvado tour can be nice...really depends how good is your kid about warm wewather...March will be hot around there...

roadadvisor

Edited: 05 January 2013, 00:00
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

I would recommend Hacienda Baru, they have zip lines, nature walks, etc, the Nauyaca falls horseback tour, kayaking either in Rio Baru, or else isla Damas, north of Quepos. Manuel Antonio And Corcovado National Parks, rafting on Savegre River, There are waterfall pools for swimming in both Uvita & Dominical. Beach day at Playas Uvita (whales's tail) or Ventanas, surf lessons, etc!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

There is a lot to do on the area. You can inquire about everything at Coconut Grove Cabinas, Richard and his wife are great. In Dominical there is a tour/guide/office with all your options.

Above this area is Bella Vista Lodge, plan a reservation there for dinner, watch the sunset from the all mahogany lodge and open kitchen, after riding horseback to the waterfalls.

You als have the Beru refuge, and snokel/picnic at Playa Bellena (low tide). Also one the best places to enjoy great food in CR is Playa Ojochal, lots of great places, Cafe Exotica is one of the best...

Manual Antonio is 50 minutes up the road as well.

As above says, do be careful swimming around this area, rip tides and strong currents are the norm.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

Thanks for the replies! Hi RoadAdvisor - Yes, we've heard about the rip tides. I've read that Dominicalito and Playa Uvita are a little mellower, and we aren't adventurous about ocean swimming anyway. I'll make sure to check with the locals about the safest areas. My husband hopes to learn to surf, but I've been told the surf instructors will take beginners to the appropriate beaches, and I would think they know what they are doing!

CRZen - Hacienda Baru is definitely on the list. We want to do the canopy tour there, as well as their guided and self-guided nature tours. The Corcovado tour is still a strong contender, and it sounds as if we have plenty of other options.

Solohobo, thanks for the tips on restaurants. Bella Vista Lodge and Cafe Exotica sound great, as does everything else you've all mentioned! And it's good to hear an endorsement for the owners of Coconut Grove. I've read very nice things about them on TA, and it sounds as though they'll be a valuable resource.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

You can also look into Rancho la Merced. They have a large refuge where you can ride horses on the trails or beach, hike with a guide or hike on your own. They are right by the km 159 marker, about 10-15 minutes S of Dominical.

Just a little South of where you're staying is a nice little place called La Mancha where you can buy fresh fish, it's also a restaurant and their portions are big & prices low. Directly opposite the road is La Parcela, which has great views of the ocean/beach but in my opinion too pricey for food & cocktails, not so bad if you just order a soda/tea and enjoy the view. Have a nice trip with your family.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

Thanks Midori! Those are great ideas. I'm printing off all of these replies to take along.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

Check with Dylan Park at Domilocos hotel...incredible nice surf instructor and also incredible humble person...know Dylan since he was a baby!

roadadv isor

8. Re: Tour ideas for family staying in Dominical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:17