We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the Route of the Saints

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Driving the Route of the Saints

I am very interested in driving the Route of the Saints which starts south of San Jose. We are two women with a 4x4 car. Is the road dangerous, not a good idea for two women or should we take it slow and enjoy the scenery and villages and churches and food along the way? How long should it take? Daytime of course!!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the Route of the Saints

moon.com/destinations/…ruta-de-los-santos

1. Not dangerous for women

2. Take it slow and enjoy the scenery, villages, churches and food along the way.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the Route of the Saints

Thanks Hattie for the info. Can I get from San Jose to MA via the Route before dark?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the Route of the Saints

We just drove this route two weeks ago (a detour en route to San Geraldo de Dota) and it is a beautiful drive, with great views of coffee plantations interspersed with avocado trees, and quaint towns with beautiful churches. We stopped at a restaurant in San Pablo for lunch and it was really good. I had the whole deep fried fish and loved it but all of the dishes were good and well presented. I can’t remember the name but you can’t miss it – it is right in the middle of town on the corner directly across from the central park. Don’t have dessert there, however. Wait until you get to Santa Maria and stop at the coffee co-op coffee shop for the best coffee you will ever drink and enjoy their delicious desserts. You can also arrange a tour in advance. Here is the website www.coopedota.com/index.php…

As you leave Santa Maria and head up to the Pan American highway you will see plenty of fincas growing fruits, berries and flowers that grow at higher altitudes. Look for kids selling blackberries at the side of the road as you climb from 1500 meters above sea level to 3000 meters in no time at all. At the corner of the Pan American there is gas station with a large store (and restaurant) that sells an amazing variety of fruits, specialty cheeses and much more. (Can you tell I am a foodie?)

I am certain you will have a blast driving this route.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving the Route of the Saints

There is another route from the Route of the Saints to Quepos without going back to San Jose.It is a bit of an adventure but with a 4*4 you can do it if you want. I think you head south west fromSan Moaros. I would overnight in Dota and start out in the morning to be safe if you choose this option unless you are very early risers. I can't give precice directions as I have not driven it, but I know it exists. Or you could gi over the mountain via San Isidro de General and Dominical. Don't do this in the dark either but it is a nice drive.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 22:21
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving the Route of the Saints

Thanks, CanaTico, for all that info. I knew it would be a great drive! I'm going the first week of May so I'll be on the Route on May 1st, Labor Day! Can't wait!

6. Re: Driving the Route of the Saints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 05:16