We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica in June

texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Costa Rica in June

I am planning our trip to CR for end of this month, 1st part of June. We are flying into San Jose and have been advised not to miss Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel San Antonio.

We had been planning on driving ourselves (renting a 4x4), but since it is the rainy season, should we rethink our itinerary. 2 adults, 2children 11 and 12 yo. Also, when calling for reservations at some hotels, I have been told that children this age are considered adult and I must rent two rooms if a suite is not available. Just wondering. Thank you.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica in June

For June, your itinerary is fine. The height of the "rainy" or green season is not until October. You will generally experience afternoon showers for an hour or two, possibly more overnight. It should not affect any of your activities. Remember to plan tours and activities early in the day for the least likelihood of rainshowers. As far as renting two rooms vs. a suite, I'm guessing (but don't know) that one room would be too cramped for four? My experience has been that traditional and/or suite accommodations in CR are less expansive than those in the US. If your room has only one large bed and you hope to pull in two rollaways, then I'm only guessing it would be too cramped. Enjoy your trip! Lisa in Manuel Antonio

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica in June

The advise not to miss Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio is very generic. It's the "classic" Costa Rica trip. It's not for everyone. How many days will you have? What sights and activities are you really interested in? What are you interested in doing in these 3 places? You can custom plan an itinerary that's right for you and your family. The amount of rain differs in different parts of the country. Check out the following site for averages. We drove a 4x4 in December, visiting the 3 locations you mentioned, among others. Some roads are better, some worse.

http://www.costarica.com/Home/Weather/Temperature_Rainfall,_%7Damp;_Humidity/By_Cities_%7Damp;_Towns

texas
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica in June

Thank you. We will arrive on Sunday, Depart following Monday. We want to experience the springs at Arenal, we want to see wildlife and be active, (hiking). We would also like to go rafting, zip-lines and suspended walkways sound like alot of fun. We have heard great things about Si Como No, Belmar at Monteverde.