We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

we will be arriving at 10:30pm on saturday night after getting in from India. looking to pass out and sleep until the morning.

planning on heading to tamarindo the next morning.

shall i just stay somewhere close to the airport? or central san jose? its about 25 to 30 bucks to central san jose....what about a taxi to alajuela?

pls advise....also, do interbus/greyline pick up from alajeula also?

thanks!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

The international airport - SJO - is actually located near Alajuela, like 10 min by taxi. San Jose is 30 min away (if traffic is light). Alajuela is also on the way to Tamarindo if going by car or using shared shuttle. So staying in a hotel or b&b near airport or in Alajuela is better option. If going to Tamarindo by local bus, then things might be different, but more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

If you are going to Tamarindo by bus, Alajuela is still the best choice for your first night. The public buses from San Jose to Tamarindo stop in Alajuela to pick up more passengers. Let me know if you are going to take the public bus and I can give you detailed instructions.

Yes, the shared van shuttles will pick you up in Alajuela.

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
202 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

Stay at Adventure Inn, very nice place near the airport. They will pay for your taxi and breakfast is included. We have stayed there a couple times and love it.

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

We stayed at the Los Volcanes in Alajuela the evening before our flight to Atlanta. Good idea since it was very nice, great breakfast and close to the airport. Also close to some good, small restaurants. Wild Rider, from whom we rented a car for 15 days, picked us and the car up at the hotel and delivered us to the airport. Easy was to start the trip home.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 03:05
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

Another vote for Los Volcanes in Alajuela. I have stayed there a number of times. It's comfortable, reasonable and with a killer breakfast and about 10 minutes from the airport. Wild Rider is also a great agency to use -- I agree with that.

London ON
Level Contributor
273 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

You might want to check out the 'Hotel La Rosa de America'

We not stayed there, but we arrive in 2 weeks and have booked with them.

Good reviews on tripadvisor and the e-mail reponse is great.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g309224-d302045-…

Breakfast is included and the room prices seem reasonable. They will also arrange pickup/dropoff at the airport.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 14:56
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

La Rosa de American is a great place to stay - have stayed there. It's comfortable, reasonably priced and has a swimming pool and nice breakfast.

It is about 20 minutes from the airport and transportation will be arranged but you will pay for it. It's about $15-$20, if I remember correctly.

It is further from the car rental agency locations so not sure if they would deliver a car to the hotel at no charge.

It's an especially good place to stay if you are heading north to Arenal or wherever as it's "on the way" and out of the main part of the traffic around Alajuela.

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

Alajuela, definitely. It's closer to the airport (5-10min drive), and it's safer, quiter and cleaner than SJ. If you're on a shoestring budget try Hotel Trotamundos, double with ensuite for US$35.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

If you are not arriving until 10:30, and then have to get through customs, expect it to be well after 11 pm before leaving the airport. I would probably just opt to spend the first night at either the Holiday Inn Express or the Hampton Inn both are right beside the airport and offer free shuttle service from the airport to the hotels.. There is also a Denny;s right there if you are hungry for a quick bit to eat.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels in alajuela vs. central san jose

Actually, it takes 5 minutes to get to either one of those big American "cookie cutter" hotels and 10 minutes to get to either Hotel Los Volcanes or Hotel Trotamundos which are both Costa Rican. (Volcanes is in a old, historic house that has been restored.)

While someone is trying to figure out how to call the hotel to get the shuttle, the other people are in a taxi and halfway to either of the other hotels. A taxi would cost less than $5 so not really a big deal and very quick.