We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is CR safe?

Sarasota, Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Is CR safe?

I am 59 years old (female) and I'm looking into a month long trip to CR. I will be traveling alone and wishing to rent an apt or entire small house near Grecia. Is it safe for me there and also traveling around the country with a rental car?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is CR safe?

Yes it is safe for you both in Grecia and driving around in your rental car. Use the same precautions you would traveling anywhere by yourself. Don't leave anything in your rental car. As my son would say, "Mom, just take care of your stuff!"

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is CR safe?

IMO yes Costa Rica is relatively safe. Common sense goes a long way here, or anywhere for that matter. Do not leave bags unattended, don't leave anything in the car. Be aware of your surroundings. I cant recall ever feeling in danger in all my years living here. Have a blast on vaca.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is CR safe?

Same experiences. Driving was better then expected, safety issues we didn't have, yet we have followed all usual and specific safety guidelines. With a month you will not be in a hurry and that is the most important fact that will contribute to your personal good feeling and safety.

Sarasota, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is CR safe?

Thanks so much. I had planned an extended trip to Ireland for Spring but I'm seriously considering changing to Costa Rica and then doing Ireland in the Fall. I'll have a million questions before Im done. ;-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is CR safe?

Just common sense...and keep a low profile...one of our national sports gossip...just do not give to much information about yourself until you think you can trust that person...otehrwise as good or as bad as many places around the world today!

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is CR safe?

Do keep your questions coming! There are many ex-pats of a similar age bracket and so you'll find company. Roadadvisor has wise words about keeping a low orofile though - don't give too much away about yourself too soon!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is CR safe?

Good advice not to leave anything unattended in your car. I also wouldn't wear expensive looking jewelry or flash iPods, nice cameras, iPads and things like that around. I would recommend staying somewhere with some kind of security if you can. Friends of ours rented a place, and it was broken into - rare, but it can happen. No one was hurt, but all the cameras, etc. were taken.

8. Re: Is CR safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 07:16