We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

documentation for medications

Cheboygan...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
documentation for medications

My husband takes a couple of perscriptions. Does anyone know what documentation, if any, is needed to get thru customs in CR?

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: documentation for medications

Unless they are a controlled substance, No documentation is needed. Even then, it would be very rare to have anyone ever look. We travel with 90 days worth at time and it is an obscene amount of pills!

Travel sites will advise to use original containers which might be a good idea but again, it has never been an issue for us.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: documentation for medications

As long as you don't have great big gobs of medicines, you won't have any problems going through customs. If you are coming through with hundreds of pills, that's a whole other thing.

After you claim your baggage, you will go to the customs area where you hand over a customs declaration form that you filled out and put your stuff on a conveyor belt through an xray machine. That's it. If he has a few bottles of prescription medication, just keep the labels on them but I seriously doubt if anyone will even ask about them.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: documentation for medications

Only had a customs agent question me once - out of around 50 flights into SJO. What he questioned were a couple of irrigation hoses I had picked up in the US. He looked at them, asked what they were, and sent me on my merry way.

Nobody has ever asked me about medications...

Cheboygan...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: documentation for medications

Thanks for the info.

5. Re: documentation for medications

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:19