We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osa Peninsula

Va Beach
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Osa Peninsula

not getting much feedback from the specific location..

A little background - My husband has been to CR several times to various spots for surf, I have been to Mal Pais, Montezuma, Arenal, Nosara and have a great uncle who lives in San Jose, so have visited there as well. We've rented cars, taken the Punteranas Ferry, hiked waterfalls, zip-lined, etc.. we love being active and exploring.

We just had a baby boy and were looking to plan our first family vacation November 2013 and have always wanted to go to the OP. Don't know much about this side of CR.

With that said it seems like it would be easiest to take the connecting flight from SJ rather than drive. can you rent a car once you are there? do you need to? Not sure how this area is laid out...

Can anyone recommend which area in OP to stay in? from a few other forum questions I have been reading I feel like we would like to be on the beach/or at least very close, but close to things to do, not completely isolated. We are in shape, a 5-10 minute walk to places is fine.

A hotel/resort that is safe, has excellent food and will allow/accommodate an 11 month old?

We've never done an all inclusive in CR, but this is our 1st time traveling with a child and I am wondering if it would make things easier. is there one people recommend?

Interests would be fishing and maybe some surfing (probably wont be traveling with a board this time around though, so would need to rent).

I was reading about a night tour?Snorkeling Cano Island is an excellent tour? maybe a spa...would love to see wildlife as well.

Again first time traveling with a child, so we are trying to keep that in mind.

thanks so much in advance!

Veronica

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osa Peninsula

Drake Bay would be better for Cano Island, while Puerto Jimenez would be better for fishing and probably surfing too. The Night Tour is in Drake Bay.

All-inclusive type places are the rule rather than the exception, since most places are pretty remote. You typically have breakfast and dinner at the lodge, while eating while out on an activity.

11 month old child? Hmmmm don't know about that. May want to wait a few years before bringing a child there--it's really remote, and there aren't a lot of medical facilities around. I certainly wouldn't lug an infant through the rainforest there.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osa Peninsula

Also consider that November on the OP will most likely be wet, as it's the height of the rainy season. I've been in early/mid Dec., and it was still fairly wet (but beautiful). That said, for beach areas out of Puerto Jimenez, look at Iguana Lodge and Agua Dulce Beach Resort, coupled with a few days at one of the Eco-lodges in Matapalo or Carate. As far as fishing, I can highly recommend Cory with Tropic Fins. We're going out on our third fishing trip with him in early Feb., and the past two trips have been great. We've always flown from SJ to Puerto Jimenez, and once there you don't really need a car.

3. Re: Osa Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 06:17