We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

Bedford...
10 posts
Save Topic
Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

My family will be vacationing in Costa Rica next month. Our plane arrives at 2:30pm and we're going to try to get through customs, collect our baggage, and rent an SUV as quickly as possible in order to get on the road to our vacation rental in Dominical before it gets dark. I've searched the forums and it seems like Alamo is recommended. Are there any other rental companies I should look at which are located at SJO and wouldn't require me going into San Jose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5931…

Check out the thread here for suggested rental car companies. You may want to consider finding accommodation closer to the airport for your first night. By the time you clear customs and collect a rental vehicle it could well be getting dark already and to start a journey then is ill-advised.

Bedford...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

Sara, it looks like sunset should be around 6pm by the middle of February. If we can get on the road by say 3:30, that'd give us 2+ hours of light which should be enough to get us to the Pacific coast. While I realize it's a 3rd world country and driving at nighttime is not recommended, I think I can make it the rest of the way (maybe another 2 hours). I've got some experience driving at night in Mexico... We've arranged our vacation rental the day that we arrive, and the owner of the house seems to think that it shouldn't be a problem to drive down that day. In any case, I just reserved a SUV at Alamo CR. Hope the weather is good.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

I'd think the airport to Dominical is closer to 4 hours driving. The link below is helpful for driving times. Good luck!

yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

Bedford...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

Yup 4 hours is what the rental owners have said it will take to get to their place. So it'll only be dark for the last hour of our drive...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

Doubt if you'll get thru customs and the rental car checkout in 1 hour but hope you're right and I'm wrong. The biggest trick is finding the right highway from the airport. Be sure you have either a GPS or a detailed map of the airport area you can review with the rental car agent.

FYI The highway south of Quepos to Dominical is 1 of the best roads in the country. Be sure you catch the cutoff north of Quepos to Dominical so you don't actually have to drive into downtown Quepos which should save you some time. There were however bicyclists in this road (like most roads) and they are very hard to spot since few use lights. Please be very careful driving this coastal route.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

Road works are scheduled on Route 34 all this month during daylight hours so keep an eye out for signs.

7. Re: Alamo the best place to rent an SUV at SJO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:18