We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
57 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

Greetings again experts.

Am questioning if we want to make the long bumpy trek up to Monteverde. I really really would like to experience the cloud forest mainly for the unique flora. I love the idea of the lush forests with all the moss and epiphytes growing. I visited a cloud forest during my trip to Equador years ago, and it was the highlight of my trip.

So my question:

Are there any good cloud forest options other than the Santa Elena/Monteverde areas? Am definitely planning on visiting Arenal and Manuel Antonio.

Is the Los Angeles Cloud Forest worth a stop? Or will I regret missing Monteverde. How is Villa Blanca? other recommendations?

Thanks again!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

There's the Los Angeles Cloud Forest and the Nectandra Garden Cloud Forest. Nectandra has some advantages because it is located in between Alajuela (where SJO is located) and the Arenal area.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

And there are cloud forest on the top of the Continental Divide, the area known as Cerro de la Muerte. Much easier access as PanAm 2 is heading its way through, but probably off the way for you. And, do not forget that above the cloud forest of Monteverde, there is also the dwarf forest. Ever heard about it?!

Edited: 02 February 2013, 23:29
Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

Don't leave us hanging,lol what is this dwarf forest?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

Google under paramo. A knowledgeable guide will be able to point you the difference between cloud forest and dwarf forest. Costa Ruica is such a biodiverse destination!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

Ahhh, thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

Tapantí National Park and San Gerardo de Dota are both beautiful and easily accessible cloud forests areas although I am not sure if they would be in keeping with the rest of your itinerary.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

There is a small Tico run lodge called Bosque de Paz which is in the cloud forest about 20-30 minutes out of Zarcero, near Bajos del Toro. This would be perfect to stop on the way to Arenal for one or two nights.

The lodge is built on the banks of a creek with hiking trails going across the property. They also have an orchid garden and attract a good number of different species of hummingbirds. The trees are loaded with epiphytes, ferns, orchids, mosses and lichens.

Pacas, agoutis and coatis are frequently seen on the grounds along with black guans and a great number of birds.

The food is excellent, too!

www.bosquedepaz.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

San Lorenzo Cloud Forest...check Lands in Love...Villa Blanca´s hard to find more boring place in our country...

roadadvisor

9. Re: Cloud Forest options besides Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:18