We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

Hi all,

I'm planning my trip for the summer to Costa rica and thinking of staying in Arenal for 2 nights. Any suggestions on must do activities and hotels. I'd probably wouldn't have a car but would be getting other means of transportation Is it worth doing a guided hike to the volcano or should I just do it on my own... Assuming I can

go on my own without a guide. I'm considering

doing a Cano Negro tour. Any serene beaches

nearby? Please let me know if you'd need more info. It's my first time going there! Thanks everyone for your help! I appreciate it.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

There is Lake Arenal nearby but I have not seen any serene beaches there. Most serene place was Eco Termales Hot Springs, evening session. You cannot hike volcano Arenal, with or without a guide. You can hike to Cerro Chato, an extinct volcano, with a guide. That would be a full day event. As it is Cano Negro boat tour. So with only two nights and one full day you are seriously limiting yourself. Arenal is known as the outdoor activities capital of Costa Rica.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. I realized I was confusing by saying "hike to the volcano" sorry about that. I meant to say the area in general. I'll take a look at Cerro Chato. I heard Eco Termales was nice so thanks for that!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

There are some hike in the park on the foot of the mountain, the summit is not open to the public, at least legally.

Eco Termales is very nice.

http://tucanlimoservices.com/ can assist you with transportation

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

You can do a base-walk around the volcano, and scrabble up to a viewing point to get your photos of the volcano and the lake, which is inside the Arenal NP. You can do that guided or unguided.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
330 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

With only one full day I would skip Cerro Chato unless you really enjoy a strenuous work out. The views are pretty on the hike, and the actual summit is pretty, but was certainly not the high point of our visit to Arenal. I'm a distance runner and used to hiking in mountains and I found the hike to be a bit challenging (maybe because not used to heat/humidity). Unlike the mountain hikes I'm used to there are no switch backs so when you check out the distance know that is straight up! If you choose to go you don't need a guide. The trail is very easy to follow.

With your limited time in the area I would probably spend a morning at the base of the volcano and go to the hot springs.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

Really you do not need a guide...but nice to have one to learn about the history and whereabouts of the area...

For Hot Springs...Eco Termales...Baldi not nice at all...

roadadvisor

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

Arenal was our first stop so we enjoyed having the nature guide talking about all the flora and fauna. But the walk itself is straight forward so you could save the money and just pay the park entrance fee - $10 I think.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

The grounds of the Arenal Observatory Lodge offer great hiking (free guided morning hike for guests but day passes also available). Other options where you don't need a guide include the national park and Arenal Hanging Bridges.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

Wow, you've all given great information! Great tips from each and every one of you. Very very helpful.

Where's the best nighttime viewing?

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guided or non guided hike to Arenal?

What do you expect to see at night? There's no lava or anything to light up at night. That said, apparently SkyTrek do night-time zip-lining now so maybe there is something.....