We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
169 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Ok Guys I need some help with the "???" in my itinerary. I have my hotels booked in SJO, Arenal, Playa Conchal, but still have 2 days open, where should I go with my family (3 young kids). We were planning on Tortuguero but Nature Air is not flying on the days I wanted to be there. What other areas would you recommend visiting with young kids? Wont be ziplining anywhere, kids are pretty young for extreme activities! Where should we go? Would appreciate any ideas... Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Sarapiqui is a 1.5 hour drive from Arenal or San Jose and has abundant wildlife and fairly easy hiking at La Selva, a tropical research station, as well as float trips on the river. Check out Selva Verde Lodge or stay in a treehouse at Posada Andrea Cristina, a simple but delightful B&B run by a local family with great guides.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Yes Sarapiqui is a good option...also Arenal Volcano area...about 2.45 hours ride...nice road all the way...great place for families...La Tirimbina good place...La Selva by OTS...

roadadvisor

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
169 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Thanks, I'll look into these!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Just wondering how long you will be staying in each location? May be an opportunity to add a night or 2 at Arenal or the beach?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
169 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Planning on staying 2 nights at each location.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Simon has a very good point. If you're only staying 2 days at each spot then I'd strongly suggest adding an extra day to Arenal and Playa Conchal. Otherwise you'll spend too much of this trip checking in and out of hotels and on the road, particularly with 3 young kids.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
843 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

We were just in Costa Rica and loved Playa Conchal. One of the prettiest beaches we've seen and great for kids. Plus, if you rent a car while you're in that area, there are lots of other beaches you could check out too. We stayed 5 nights in Playa Flamingo which is near to Playa Conchal and found plenty to do. My vote is to stay the extra days at Conchal and relax. The kids will thank you.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Try to do 2 days at Rincon de la Vieja Volcano, less than 2 hours of driving from Conchal, the volcano is active and there is lots to see and to do.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
169 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm adding another day in Playa Conchal. And chartering a flight into Tortuguero. Hopefully I can see turtle nesting in August.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SJO-????-Arenal-Playa Conchal-SJO

Just wondering what your plan was for flying into Tortuguero? May be other options other than chartering?