We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Vitamins and supplements

Nesbit, MS
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Vitamins and supplements

I am getting ready to spend four weeks in Costa Rica at a Spanish Institute. Will I have a problem bringing in my four weeks supply of vitamins and protein powder?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

NOt at all...just keep them at the original packing...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

Agree with roadadvisor. No problem.

Many supplements you can also buy here at the various "macrobiotocas" and there are even GNC stores, should you need something. If you are particular about your brand, best to bring them with you, for sure.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I always travel with spirulina. And brought some B12 back with me in September. Never been asked about it though as it is in my checked baggage. I think it's a good idea to bring, especially if you get a good product back home. Not a big GNC fan myself.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

I am not a big fan of GNC which is very expensive - but - they do have some stuff that macrobioticas don't have. (A macrobiotica is like a health food store)

I just arrived back in Costa Rica with 6 bottles of supplements and no problems at all. Your luggage is xrayed by customs but they rarely stop anyone unless it is illegal drugs or weapon-related.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

I always bring my vitamins, herbs and minerals with me as well as my normal prescription meds. I put my daily doses in clear plastic zip lock bags with the day labeled on each bag. I pack them in my check baggage with the exception of what I may need for the flight. I have never had any issue with getting them into the country, and since almost all are gone by the trip home, it is not an issue there either. I know that it states that they should be in the original containers, but for me this would mean a suitcase full of pills. This is not really and option, and as I said, on several trips down, i have not had any issues.

Anaheim, California
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

I bring them in all the time in Zip bags, never a problem, I would bring prescription in original containers.

7. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 13:05
Edited: 16 February 2013, 13:05
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

OP, I was about ready to ask the same question. I want to bring my vitamins, but to bring them in the original containers, it would take up way too much room in my luggage as they are big bottles. Same thing with OTC drugs like ibuprofen and Aleve. I also carry them in my backpack. i am only going to CR for 10 days.

newjade, it helped to read your post. I might consider putting them in a smaller vitamin container and copying the labels from each vitamin. Hope that will help.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

I travel with supplements in plastic bags and never had a problem anywhere, including Costa Rica. For prescription meds - best to leave these in the original container -- but for supplements, ibuprofen, aleve, etc - you can put them in a plastic bag. I usually label the bag -- more for my benefit than someone else's - but it can't hurt.

10. Re: Bringing Vitamins and supplements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:18