We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

Boston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

Hello, everyone!

We're about to leave for our first trip to Costa Rica and used Gate 1 as a travel agency. A blizzard has pushed our trip by one day. When I called Gate 1 for assistance with our hotel stays - one at Flamingo Beach Resort and another at Volcano Lodge in Arenal - we were told that Flamingo would charge us a no-show fee of one night!

Per the agent, "we'll, their attitude is that they didn't have a blizzard, so they don't care."

My question: Should I bring this up with the hotel management when we arrive? I don't want to be too pushy, but that seems like a big penalty. Plus, we're staying there for 4 nights total, so it's not like we aren't spending any more money at their resort.

Thoughts?

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

Firstly, incredible that a tour operator would have so little respect for their providers!

There is nothing to lose by talking to management when you arrive. Who knows, you may get some free drinks or more! Check hotel cancellation policy in your reservation contract. Have a great trip!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

I would bring it up once you get there. They might be willing to give you a discount.

But - really, they are not responsible for a blizzard and they don't have to do anything, based on their cancellation policy. And... if they were full and turned someone away because you had booked, they would lose money if they refund your first night.

I agree Simon - that was rude of the tour operator. Another good reason to just book direct.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 16:25
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

ask the hotel management , maybe if they are not 100% full, they can do something about it

North Dakota
Level Contributor
63 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

Trip Insurance--always a good idea when leaving the country.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

You'll be staying at the exact same hotels we will be starting March 14th. I'd be interested in a trip report after you return! And HattieCostaRica, I've read a number of your posts and appreciate your advice. You're very helpful.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

Dear Lee:

I would be more than happy to help you. If you can send your reservation (names and arrival / departures) we will contact Gate 1 and waive the penalty. With the blizzard in the Northeast, if your flight was cancelled, their would be no way for you to arrive as planned and we understand that! Send your info to tkramer@dhmhotels.com and I will contact the tour operator.

Sincerely, T Kramer, Regional VP marketing, Driftwood Hospitality Management, Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

All right! Good on you, Flamingo Beach Resort and Spa!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

Result!

9. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort and weather delays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:17