We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requesting passport number?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Requesting passport number?

We ordered a SIM card from Costa Rica Cellular Connection, and I realized that they are requiring my passport number to activate it.

I assume it's legit, but I just need some reassurance.

Thanks!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Requesting passport number?

I think it is just the same as a Costa Rican would be asked for their ID number for such a transaction.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Requesting passport number?

Yes, no problem. Anyone who buys a SIM card has to provide an ID card number or passport number.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Requesting passport number?

If you were to by it in Costa Rica from ICE you would also have to supply your passport number. it is one of the requirements ICE lists for buying a SIM. I assume the CR Cellular Connection will be registering it on your behalf. So like Sara I think it is legit.

pura vida

raquel,

4. Re: Requesting passport number?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 07:17