We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit Tax

Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Exit Tax

Hello,

I was just informed that the exit tax is payable at the local banks rather than having to wait in line at the airport. Has anyone done this?

Could some one also verify that the tax is still $28 US.

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit Tax

The tax is $28 and you can pay it at SOME banks. Banco La Fise and some branches of Banco de Costa Rica. Sometimes the line in the bank is longer than the line to pay your departure tax! But... it will depend on where you are.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit Tax

There will be lines also in the banks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
733 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit Tax

The line at the airport almost always moves very fast. I can't see stopping at a bank prior as any convenience.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit Tax

I have left Costa Rica many times and have never been in line more than 5 minutes. I have, however spent some quality time in line ups at banks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit Tax

If you are not already in CR then I suggest paying the tax ($28/cash/pp to avoid additional fee) at the airport upon arrival. This is one less thing to worry about and you can have your form all filled out when you get to the airport for departure. There are lots of comments on this topic under DEPARTURE TAX.

When we left in NOV there was a long line in Liberia Airport to pay this tax and we were there on a weekday, non holiday week. You just never know what you will encounter...

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit Tax

Good tip from MT there! As mentioned, you can just never tell.

We had a Tuesday afternoon flight home from SJO in November and the queue had no more than 3 people in it, with a dozen manned counters serving we were through in a flash!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exit Tax

OK: The Departure Tax kiosks at SJO and LIR are very different.

SJO has oodles of agents - something like 12. LIR has 4 "stations" and usually only two of them are "manned." So you can count on a longer wait at LIR.

If you are flying out of SJO, no worries with spending a lot of time paying your departure tax. The line goes very fast. Plus, only one person needs to stand in line and can do everything for everyone in the group or family. To pay your tax when you arrive isn't all that easy as the Departure Tax kiosks are on a different floor and a different area in the airport from where you exit.

If you are flying out of LIR, it's very easy to pay your Departure Tax when you arrive. As you exit the baggage and customs area, you will walk down a cordoned off area. when you reach the end of that area, turn left. The Departure Tax kiosks are between the baggage/customs exit and airline check-in - all on the same level. Note that there are TWO kiosks: One is Banco La Fise (which you will come to first) and then the "regular" kiosk of BanCredito. If someone is meeting you - a rental car shuttle or private driver - just tell them you want to pay your departure tax first. And... you can also get some colones from the ATM before you leave the airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exit Tax

Just relax...I fly often and I have never ever wait more than 5 minutes...well maybe a couple minutes more...not a big deal..trust me at lot more trouble at any USA airport at arrival...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exit Tax

roadadvisor: It's a different situation at LIR as I described.

I agree with you about SJO - not really an issue at all. I also have never waited more than 5 minutes. Usually, I walk up and one of the agents will be waving at me.... "Here!"

Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Exit Tax

Thank you for all the advice. It gives me something to think about!