We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas budget

Vancouver, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
Gas budget

Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I are going on a trip to Costa Rica for 18 days, traveling all around the circumference of the country. Visiting every province. We're renting a 4WD SUV and have no idea how much money we should put aside for gas. Help please?

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,231 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas budget

Well all depends on the vehicle engine size...gas around here is not cheap!

Let us know the kind of car to try to help you!

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas budget

A few tips when stopping at the gas station: newer leave the eye from the car and the pump counter. The amounts will be in litres and colones, so have colones to pay the bill, thus avoiding any "lost in translation" surprises. It is better (safer) to withdraw colones from ATM then using the c/c.

Edited: 23 February 2013, 09:18
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas budget

1. Regular gas is around $5 a gallon. (On the pump, it's charged as colones/liter so do the conversion ahead of time.)

2. Figure out the mileage where you are going.

www.yourtravelmap.com

3. Add some for local travel and exploring

4. Figure out the gas mileage of the car you will be renting.

Vancouver, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas budget

Ahh okay, we are going to find a car down there so I can't give you an exact car but some sort of compact suv like a jimny or Suzuki or something.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas budget

I don't think anybody can possibly do the calculations for you as only you know where you want to go.

As has been stated, gas is about US$5 a gallon. How much your rental car will use depends on the vehicle, your driving style, how mountainous the places are that you are going to, and how much traffic you will encounter.

If you anticipate renting a small car, look up the EPA estimate for the vehicle. Figure out approximately how many km you'll be driving during the 18 days and go from there.

Vancouver, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas budget

I wasn't looking for an exact calculation just a very rough estimate. We don't have an itinerary, we are just winging our accommodations and plans so I can't really tell you our plans. We are just traveling through the pacific side then the Carribean side, visiting a few national parks. Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas budget

Sasha, the price of gas is about what we pay here at home...maybe even a bit more.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas budget

Small SUV (Daihatsu Bego) 10 US$/100 km. Big SUV (Mitsubishi Montero) 15 US$/100 km.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas budget

Sasha L - When I read that you are "going to find a car down there," I said...... uh oh. It's generally a mistake to wait until you are here to rent a car rather than booking one ahead of time.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas budget

I suppose I still don't understand how anyone could give you an answer regarding your gas budget without knowing any of the parameters affecting it.

Perhaps Xelas' answer is helpful?

What, exactly, are you looking for?