We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

We are travelling to Liberia, Costa Rica and want to rent a car for 10 days. Does anyone have any recent experience and preferred vendor? I am leaning toward Alamo but all reviews are at least 1-2 years old. Any agency to avoid? Any and all advice would be appreciated.. I'm seeing mandatory insurance from Alamo and wonder about this. I've heard car rental is te sketchiest part of Costa Rica Travel.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

I've rented from Alamo and did not have any problems, also from Mapache, Dollar, and Poas. Every car rental will have mandatory insurance, make sure you get your quote with that ad taxes included and shop around, you might be able to use your credit card for part of the insurance, check with your companies.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

There are several threads on this forum with in-depth discussions of car rental agencies and renting a car in Costa Rica. If you do a search, you can find them -- or just browse the first few pages.

Some good agencies include: Toyota, National, Budget, Alamo, Adobe, Vamos, Solid, Service, Dollar. All these get good feedback.

Avoid Economy, Thrifty and Payless - not so good feedback.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

We've used Adobe twice from Liberia and had really good experiences with them. Their online quotes include the mandatory insurance. Recommend.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

Alamo...Budget...Toyota...Avis...Hertz...National...Adobe..

Stay a far as you can from Economy... Ace...Trhifty..

roadadvisor

victoriaville
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

Ok one thing....Never go with hertz...We just had a very bad experience with them!!! Very old tires,a lot of spots on the car!! Less than half break oil etc etc....Believe me...don't go with Hertz!!!!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

also, just FYI, at least with Adobe, the rental agency isn't actually AT the airport. They pick you up and go to their offices, about 5-10 minutes towards the coast. Then you do the paperwork there. Which takes way way longer than in US. All very pleasant, but don't expect to get on the road within minutes of arriving. Don't know if other agencies are actually at the airport. And if you were heading north, as opposed to the coast, that might make a difference. For us, it was just fine as we were heading to Playa Hermosa for the night, so on the way.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

I just posted info about Dollar Rent A Car just outside the Liberia Airport - very positive experience.

8. Re: Car Rental Agency at Liberia airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 06:15