We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in September

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling in September

We are considering booking our trip to Costa Rica in early September. We understand that the Caribbean side is less rainy, but is it as beautiful as the Pacific side? Any advice on Caribbean towns to visit and stay in? We are still considering heading to Monteverde for a day, even with the rains, but I mainly want to be on a beach.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 00:58
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in September

If you are planning on Monteverde, I would stay there two days, and yes the Caribbean side is great that time of the year. Check out this site for more info,

puertoviejosatellite.com

2. Re: Traveling in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2017, 18:30
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in September

Thank you. I'm so nervous about the Caribbean side. I really want to do the Pacific side, but I'm nervous that it will rain the entire time or the beaches will be too wet to sit outside and enjoy the sun (if there is sun).

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in September

Yolanda, the best weather in the country in September is on the Caribbean Coast. Quit worrying!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in September

Okay. I'll try.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in September

What are your worries re.Caribbean side about, Yolanda? The ocean is clean and the water is calmer then on the Pacific side. Some of the best beaches of Costa Rica are located 30 min by car away, between Cahuita and Manzanillo. There are enough of lodges of all levels. There are no All Inclusive or big name resorts here, though.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling in September

Take a look here: costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

This will show you typical rainfall patterns in various parts of the country. So you can see for yourself what is rainy and what is not.

For instance, you can see that in September, Cahuita/Puerto Viejo experience less than 10" of rain -- and probably most of that would be in the evening or at night.

By contrast, the northern Pacific has more rain - but not like a monsoon. The central and southern Pacific experience a lot of rain during September.

And yes, Monteverde is not a "I'm going there for a day" kind of place. It is difficult to get to - basically is takes half a day to get there from anywhere - so if you are going there, you should be prepared to stay at least two nights. Note that it is very rainy in September so you should be prepared for that -- rainy and quite cool.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling in September

I will just say that before moving to Nosara 8 years ago, I took many, many (probably 8-10) trips to Costa Rica in mid Sept, as that is our wedding anniversary. Never once did we get a total wash out. Did we get some rain..of course, but plenty of sun too. I alway came home with a tan. Sept is still one of my favorite months in Costa Rica, even on the Pacific.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling in September

Cahuita...Puerto Viejo...Cocles...Punta Uva...Manzanillo...all great beaches at the Caribbean...almost next to eah other!

roadadvisor

10. Re: Traveling in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:15