We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

Hi,

We're going to CR for our honeymoon. It's only 8 days (super sad) so we're trying to be very mindful about the places we go.

So far:

Renting a car from SJ and driving to La Fortuna area for 2 nights.

Where should we go next? We want something on the beach, and were thinking of 2 nights in Jaco and 3 in Manuel Antonio, but we're not sure if that's the best way to split up the remainder of the trip.

We'll take any suggestions! Thank you so much in advance.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 14:39
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

I should add: we're in our early thirties, and enjoy nature/adventure activities. neither of us surf. and we would like to spend a day at a beach that we could swim at.

instead of driving to jaco/MA, we were considering maybe flying to puerto jimenez and spending the rest of our trip in Osa.

i'm not sure if it's just as nice to hang out around mid pacific coast.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

Forget Jaco if you don't surf and want a beautiful beach. Which beach is best depends on what time of year you visit. The Osa at the ehight of rainy season would be a mistake. It's also not really a beach destination but a rainforest spot with incredible wildlife and hiking. There are beaches to spend a couple of days but not if you primarily want a gorgeous beach spot.

Please rethink 2 days in Arenal as it's a long drive there and there's tons to do besides the hot springs. Much better as a 3-4 night stay.

If I were you I'd split it up: 1st nite Central Valley, 3 nites Arenal (Nayara or Lost Iguana for a honeymoon) and then 3 nites Manuel Antonio (Buena Vista Villas or Arenas del Mar if the budget allows). Lots of affordable lodging options as well. Be sure you don't have a morning flight out of SJO or you'll need to spend the last nite near the airport.

Congratulations and hope you have a great trip to remember.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

Thank you so much! I was sort of hoping someone said "forget Jaco" !!

I think you may be right.

We're going midJune. Maybe we'll do 3 nights Arenal, 3 nights MA, and 1 night near the airport.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

If you are looking for ideas then go to http://www.vacationscostarica.com/ and see what packages they have, and try to decide on your own, or even use their service, to embark you in adventures and wicked tours, every single one customized to suit your adventurous person.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

If you don't have tickets, fly in SJO and go to Arenal, then continue to Guanacaste, maybe mountain and then beach. If possible fly out of LIR and save some time driving.

A mountain location can be Rincon de la Vieja Volcano NP. Active volcano, lots to see and lots to do, waterfalls, fauna, volcanic activity, hos springs....

A beach location can be Playa Hermosa. There are some hotel options there like http://hotelplayahermosa.com/ or http://lafinisterra.com/

6. Re: Help us plan! We'll go anywhere!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:15