We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

How is this itinerary? We are traveling to CR for the first time with our 2 children (ages 15 & 11) in June, renting a car while we are there. We are all pretty active and enjoy exploring the outdoors. Rainforest, wildlife, exploring, and good food is what we're after. Our current itinerary is below, for those that live in CR or have traveled here before please let me know if this is doable and if there is anything we are missing. Also if anyone can recommend restaurants or sodas at our destinations or on route to our destinations that would be wonderful. Thank you in advance!

Day 1 - Arrive SJO at noon. Drive to La Fortuna. Staying at Tree Houses Hotel for 2 nights. If we are not too tired from the drive they have a night hike that we could do on property.

Day 2 - Hike down to La Fortuna Waterfall in the morning.

Volunteer at Proyecto Asis Animal Rescue in the afternoon.

Relax.

Day 3 - Move to Los Lagos Resort. Thinking of doing a day trip to Rio Celeste Waterfall. Can this be done as a day trip???

Day 4 - Visit El Silencio Mirador Reserve or Arenal Hanging Bridges in the morning. Afternoon/evening relax at hotel.

Day 5 - Drive to Monteverde, staying at Casa Batsu for one night. Thinking about walking the trails at Arenal Observatory Lodge before we head out. If we are not tired a night tour of Cloud Forest???

Day 6 - Selvatura Zipline Tour in the morning and then drive to Manuel Antonio. Going to try and stop at Tarcoles River to see the crocodiles.

Day 7 - Open. Relax or head to MA Park for tour and beach.

Night hike at Fincas Naturales?

Day 8 - Open. Estuary Tour?

Day 9 - Drive to hotel located near SJO in afternoon. Is it possible to do a quick trip to see Poas Volcano???

Day 10 - Fly out 11am

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Your itinerary is ambitious but doable. However, with children, I think you are trying to do way too much and see way too much.

I would cut down on the number of places you are going and wait until you are there to arrange tours and excursions. Otherwise, you will spend a lot of time in a vehicle and packing and unpacking. If you arrange tours and excursions once you are there -- 24 hours ahead of time -- you will be able to gauge how everyone is feeling and what they want to do.

Frankly, I would skip Monteverde and just divide your trip between the Arenal area and Manuel Antonio.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Two issues: Monteverde and Poas

On Day 5 your itinerary includes an afternoon arrival in Monteverde for 1 nite with a possible night tour of Cloud Forest. Day 6 includes a zipline adventure and then head out for MA. I would definitely not drive all the way to Monteverde for a zipline given that there are spectacular ziplines in both Arenal and MA. IMO Monteverde is all about hiking in the reserves to enjoy the cloudforest environement and this itinerary doesn't give you an opportunity to do that. I'd either add a 2nd nite in Monteverde or drop it from the itinerary.

Poas is definitely doable in a 1/2 day but it should be morning - not an afternoon as the clouds frequently roll in by 11 AM, obscuring the view. You might be lucky in the afternoon but the odds are against you.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

There's a lot of things but definitely doable.

Day 3 yes it could be done as a 1 day trip for sure.

Day 9 though, I don't think you can do a "quick" visit of Volcan Poas, it's not really that far but you'll just be running all the way, and that's not the idea, because there's a good hike there that you need to do to reach places.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Thank you for the feedback. We haven't booked any of our tours yet except for volunteering at Proyecto Asis Animal Rescue. I agree that removing Monteverde is probably a good idea. Is there more to do for the kids in Arenal or Manuel Antonio or would adding 2 days to the end of our trip in Alajuela be better? Then we could actually use that day to see Poas. Is one area more child friendly for zip lining or is it about the same (Arenal or MA)? Thank you again, I appreciate all the knowledge and help from this board!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Also are there any must see stops that are along our drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio? Places to eat? Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary

On the way to MA there is a bridge we stopped at before Jaco beach that had crocs in the river just hanging out. (Mainly a tourist trap) but still fun to check out. About 2 1/2 hours into the trip we ended up a very large gift shop that also served food. We didnt eat there but its what our driver recommended.

There is plenty to do for kids in both areas depends what they like to do. The national Park in MA is def worth checking out and id book Johan as your guide he was awesome. You could maybe book a class I & II rafting trip in Arenal which im sure the kids would like alot.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary

Thanks Daniel J! We'd like to do a rafting trip but I've read that due to the amount of rain during Green Season that sometimes they don't offer the rafting trip, I could be wrong though. Keeping our fingers crossed that we get lucky and have a chance to experience it!

Edited: 06 March 2013, 19:44
8. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 07:16