We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paper map question

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Paper map question

We plan on renting a GPS while we are there but also thought it might be a good idea to have a good old fashioned paper map with us too. I've seen one for sale online from costa-rica-guide.com or should we just wait until we arrive an pick one up at the airport?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paper map question

I would order the one from costa-rica-guide.com It's very accurate and has good "close-ups" of various areas of the country. You can order it from Amazon - it's the one with the toucan on the front.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paper map question

Thank you Hattie! I found it on Amazon. Are there any guide books you recommend? I would like to get something that includes animal and plant life. The kids are getting very excited!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paper map question

I recommend "The Wildlife of Costa Rica: A Field Guide." Zona Tropical Publications. It's excellent -- a book that local guides use.

For plants, "Tropical Plants of Costa Rica" by Willow Zuchowski. I use it all the time.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paper map question

Thank you again Hattie!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paper map question

It's really great to see people who want to use a good old paper map in conjunction with a gps. So much more thought into what route you're travelling, and you tend to remember directions and just generally be better oriented....for when you do make a wrong turn :) I've always found that spending a little time reviewing your intended routes (google maps etc) before your trip is also very helpful. Recalling names of towns when you're travel though them can provide a lot of comfort knowing that you're on the right track. Drive Safe!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paper map question

My boyfriend and I just returned from Costa Rica on Sunday and I HIGHLY recommend bringing a map. Our GPS worked on the main roads but once we got closer to our desintations (Arenal and Guanacaste), it lost it's signal in the mountains and side roads leading to resorts. Only the main roads have signs. I would also recommend (if able) asking someone such as the front desk, a concierge which way to go.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paper map question

My boyfriend and I just returned from Costa Rica on Sunday and I HIGHLY recommend bringing a map. Our GPS worked on the main roads but once we got closer to our desintations (Arenal and Guanacaste), it lost it's signal in the mountains and side roads leading to resorts. Only the main roads have signs. I would also recommend (if able) asking someone such as the front desk, a concierge which way to go.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paper map question

PirateChikAhoy we definitely plan on printing out our routes to each destination through YourTravelmap.com to help us along with the paper map and GPS. I like to highlight each route so the kids can keep track of where we're going. I also like to include facts about our destination on the bottom and a word search to keep them busy!

Shel091 thank you for the additional information!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paper map question

Nice! What a great idea for travelling with kids!

It NEVER fails to amaze me how many people blindly and thoughtlessly follow a gps. They sometimes have a nasty habit of sending folks the shortest way and not necessarily the smartest way.

Sounds like you're ready for your adventure. Have fun!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paper map question

You can get very good, current paper maps of Costa Rica absolutely free from the ITC (CR Tourism Board). They have booths at both airports or you can get them before your trip by contacting the CR Embassy in your own country. Not only do they have tourist maps for the whole country but they also have more detailed regional maps such as Guanacaste Norte; Guanacaste Sur; Puntarenas, Monteverde e Islas del Golfo de Nicoya; Pacifico Central; Valle Central; and many more. Within each of these maps there are even more detailed maps of the major centers. For example the Valle Central map has more detailed maps of San Jose, Cartago, Heredia and Alajuela. Again, absolutely free and much much more, just for the asking.

Mentioned in this post
Nicoya
Nicoya
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica