We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CR Trip Recommendations

NWH
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
CR Trip Recommendations

I've been to Costa Rica before and done the Nicoya penn and Arenal, and while they were amazing and I will go back someday...I have to explore more of this country on my second visit. I'm thinking of heading south for a few days in Manuel Antonio and then a few more in Corcovado. Would anyone suggest a different 'CR Part II' trip? I'm very comfortable driving in foreign lands and actually enjoy the challenge and adventure, so am wondering...on the return from Corcovado to San Jose, is it worth traveling up the spine to experience the mountainous part of the country (hwy 2), or should I just backtrack along the coast?

Thanks for all your help!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CR Trip Recommendations

I really love Samara area and that is really easy drive in and out. The Caribbean side is also beautiful. Guanacaste is interesting, but not one of my favorite parts of CR. I think Osa Penn is the last part of CR I need to visit, and it sounds wonderful If you really enjoyed Nicoya Penn you might be disappointed with MA

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CR Trip Recommendations

I think you'll love the Osa if you enjoy nature and wildlife. Corcovado is well worth at least 4 days of your trip. On the return trip it's a great idea to take the Pan Am Hwy and stop overnight to enjoy the cloudforests around San Gerardo de Dota.

NWH
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CR Trip Recommendations

Thank you both!

crfan - you've convinced me to take the Pan Am Hwy and stay a couple nights in San Gerardo de Dota on my way back to SJ.

mrolfes - I'm curious why you think I'll be disappointed in MA? I've only heard great things...

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,150 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CR Trip Recommendations

Well, I was disappointed by Manuel Antonio, mainly because it was after Osa / Corcovado. The NP loked like a park, too many hotels and way too many tourists. Maybe my impression would be different if heading there before Osa. Anyway for me Dominical/Uvita is much better representing Costa Rica essence. Definitively drive a loop; I would start in San Gerardo and end in Uvita.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CR Trip Recommendations

Manuel Antonio is a user-friendly version of the Osa--less natural, more restaurants and hotels and conveniences.

If you're doing the Osa, personally and totally subjectively I would skip Manuel Antonio. Manuel Antonio is a great place to visit, and it's more of a vacation place than an adventure place, whereas the Osa is more adventurous (virtually nowhere has A/C, no swimming pools except for a tiny number of places, limited food options, etc).

But--the Osa is not an easy place to visit in terms of budget or logistics. It can be done, but it takes careful planning. Corcovado especially requires a number of hoops to jump through.

NWH
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CR Trip Recommendations

Great advice! I've cut MA out of my itinerary...and may replace it with Uvita. I like the potential of adventure in Osa but am also looking for a few days of more 'comfortable' beach time. Thanks for all the advice!

7. Re: CR Trip Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:15