We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mens Bathing Suits

Boston...
4 posts
Save Topic
Mens Bathing Suits

Would a man in Costa Rica look less like a tourist in a speedo or in a square cut bathing suit? Or in any sort of bathing suit that is smaller than regular trunks? Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

I would wear whatever you're comfortable wearing. You will see every style of suit at the beach. I think board shorts are probably more popular with the kids these days. Just remember that there are people from all over the world who visit CR & tastes vary accordingly.

A lack of suntan might be more of an indicator that one is a tourist than the swim trunks you're wearing (except for really 'loud' Hawaiian print shorts). :o)

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

Just don't leave the beach in only a pair of Speedos and walk on through town. That tends to upset little old ladies!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

Most tourists from places north have to change their complextion and body type to "blend in". The type of bathing suit is probably more a flexition of socio-economic class and age. Young Ticos I have seen on the beach often seem to be trying to look like Americans, more specifically Californians (knee length), I suppose somewhere some also want to share the European look (Speedo) and may do that. The more money they have access to the more designer like suits. With or without a suit most folks hitting the tourist beaches in CR are on vacation and are their to enjoy, not judge the appearance of others. Usually those who are not vacationing are working in the tourist industry, obviously selling things or maybe fishing (launching a boat or bringing it in). I would not worry about blending in, or anything else except enjoying yourself.

For the record ... I am not saying all tourist are white and tall, that I have seen a Speedo in CR, or that all the people on the coast are vacationing, selling or fishing .... What I am referring to is tendencies.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

Kevin - stop worrying about looking like a tourist and wear the swimsuit that you like. No one will really care.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,376 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

In order for me too blend in, I would need to chop about a foot off my height, dye my hair, cut my hair differently, change my body type (as suggested above), and take a number of classes to teach me proper local mimic and gestures.

In other words, there is absolutely NO way I could ever blend in. Just like I can't blend in in Thailand, Cuba, Peru, China, Mongolia, or really, most other places. You see, I might manage to "blend in" in Italy - but only for a second or so since I can NEVER manage to behave like an Italian. I simply didn't grow up as an Italian.

After ten years of living in Costa Rica, there is not a single Tico who would ever mistake me for anything other than a foreigner.

Likewise, the way you look, how you move, your gestures, your mimic, the way you speak - all will give you away as a tourist. You swim wear is the least of your worries....

Not that there is any reason to worry... You ARE a tourist and everybody will know it - and not care whatsoever.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 13:31
Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

i've never seen a tico in a speedo or any other type of banana hammock style bathing suit, so it won't help you blend in, but as mentioned above, there's nothing you can do that will make you "disappear".

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

Call a spade a spade, speedos, sandals with socks, and fat women in spandex should be banned by international law.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

skip the speedo unless you are a competitive swimmer either training or at a competition...that should end this thread and any further questions

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mens Bathing Suits

Well folks, you wear what you want to wear and I will wear what I want to wear (as I sit here typing, wearing pajamas and socks with sandals.)

It's kind of elitist, really, to make fun of the choices that people make with their clothing. People are individuals and not all the same and I don't think they should be castigated for the clothing choices they make.

Speedos, Spandex, socks with sandals, white patent leather shoes.... bring 'em on!