We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

Washington state
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

This will be the longest driving day of our 14 day trip...wondering if there are some good places to stop/take a breather along the way? Thanks in advance! Tammy

Washington state
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

Is there a reason I'm not getting any answers to my latest posts? Not sure if I'm not breaking the question down enough (the last one definitely covered too much "territory") or putting it in the right spot etc. help?

Canada
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

I think the reason you have not received a response is that this is not a drive that a lot of folks make because it is very long. You could stop for lunch in Dominical or Uvita but you will still have a ways to go after that. Maybe you should send a PM to Roadadvisor.

Washington state
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

thanks CanaTico!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

And I had a busy days in the office, and I think there was a very similar Q a while ago. Anyway, here I go. When driving down the mountain before Perez Zeledon there is a bakery with a big parking place, good for coffee and sweets (on right hand side of the road). Now if you will take the Costanera Sur (PZ to Dominical to PJ to Carate) there will be plenty of soda and restaurants. If you will drive the PanAm then opportunities to stop will be fewer. Surely there are several restaurants in Guadalupe where PanAm takes a sharp right turn (also known as Paso Real). One stop that is a must is Cantina Buena Esperanza on the road to Carate, about 45 min from Puerto Jimenez. And it will be a really long day. Just checked the timestamps on our photos. We started from Paraiso del Quetzal at km 70 at 10 am and arrived in Puerto Jimenez at 5 pm; we have taken the longer route via PanAm, and have 2 breaks, one shorter (20 min) and one longer (45 min).

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

i agree with xelas, in san isidro/perez, take 22 down to dominical on the costanera. i recently drove from palmar sur to san jose on the pan am, and the section of road between san isidro and palmar sur offer very few good stops. plenty to see, but not much in the way of roadside sodas (small cafe/restaurants)

dominical is one of my favourite stops on the costanera, and many people love uvita as well. your gonna need a 4x4 to drive to carate, lots of steep, lumpy hills and a couple streams to cross as well. have fun!

Washington state
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

Thank you xelas and Sonny!

7. Re: Driving from San Gerardo de Dota to Carate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 06:15