We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September 2013 honeymoon

Belle River, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
September 2013 honeymoon

Hi all,

I am researching destinations for my 7-10 day honeymoon in late September this year, and I would like some help and advice on what to do and where to go should we choose Costa Rica. In addition to Costa Rica, I am also considering Portugal, South Africa, and the Florida Keys.

What I like about Costa Rica is the diversity of ecosystems, and accessiblity to wildlife, adventure and leisure. For the honeymoon we are looking for a nice mix of good food, culture, adventure and leisure. Probably more adventure than leisure. I prefer an 'authentic' experience over touristy things. Some things I would like to experience: Go into the rainforest, see some wildlife (monkeys, birds, maybe even cats?), diving &or surfing, horseback riding, fishing. I would also love to see some Sea turtles nesting or hatching.

What will the weather be like in September? Does it differ on the different coasts?

Any suggestions on areas to visit, hotels to stay at, specific places or companies to go for activities?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Witch s Rock Surf Camp
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Pablo Surf School
Real Experiences Costa Rica
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Check out the Caribbean Coast and Arenal in Sept. The weather is good, lots to see an do. Puerto Viejo has the Sloth Sanctuary and Jaguar Rescue center, in addition to several national parks, wildlife reserves, water activities, etc. Its definitely not as developed an area as Manuel Antonio, Guanacaste, etc. The hotels are smaller. Arenal has similar weather to the Caribbean being on the eastern side of the continental divide, and theres a lot of really nice hotels and lots of attractions there as well. Arenal is more developed, but not touristy in the sense that its like cancun or something like that. I'd hesitate to suggest hotels without a budget, but for romance, Arenal Nayara is hard to beat, and the Banana Azul, Le Cameleon and Cariblue are nice options over in Puerto Viejo.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
899 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Hotel Banana Azul
Hotel Banana Azul
1,610 Reviews
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel
Le Cameleon Boutique...
841 Reviews
Cocles, Costa Rica
Belle River, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Thanks a bunch! I will check out the those places. The Sloth Sanctuary and Jaguar Rescue sound interesting indeed!

I probably should have mentioned that our budget for the entire trip is $6000 CDN. I will spend up to $200 per night for hotel, probably wouldn't go higher than that unless it includes extras (food, drinks, activities).

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

If you're on the Caribbean side, I would definitely add:

1) Rafting the Pacuare river (probably the #1 adventure activity in the entire country); and

2) Visiting Tortuguero, a very prime wildlife area;

There are packages where you can stay at Banana Azul, visit Tortuguero, and raft the Pacuare (per, shockingly, the Banana Azul website). We'll probably do that ourselves for a trip one year in August.

Arenal has a lot of luxury places, but it's also hyper-touristy unless you go to the far side of the volcano around the Arenal Obseratory Lodge area. The town of La Fortuna is one big tourist trap, complete with a radio station hiring a vehicle to drive through the streets blasting music through giant speakers.

Wild cats are purely luck, and highly, highly unlikely. We've seen two (jaguarundi at the Arenal Observatory Lodge and a puma in the Cabo Matapalo area of the Osa peninsula) and it was a "holy ____" moment each time. Sarapiqui area near the Caribbean has great wildlife, but it also gets a ton of rain in September.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Pacuare River
Pacuare River
113 Reviews
Cartago, Costa Rica
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Hotel Banana Azul
Hotel Banana Azul
1,610 Reviews
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
592 Reviews
Pacuare River, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
899 Reviews
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa
Arenal Observatory Lodge...
2,172 Reviews
Cabo Matapalo
Cabo Matapalo
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
Province of Heredia, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Weather wise the Caribbean Coast is certainly your best choice that time of year. Plenty of activities, including horse back riding, fishing and jungle hikes. Rafting the Pacuare is great too, you can organise that including onward travel to Puerto Viejo if you don't rent a car. Have a look at: www.exploradoresoutdoors.com/

Many restaurants between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. For lodging check www.puertoviejosatellite.com

And congratulations!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
592 Reviews
Pacuare River, Costa Rica
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Cahuita is another spot to check out. A snorkeling trip (September is usually the BEST month for calm water and few rains) and walk through Cahuita National Park are fantastic activities.

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Cahuita National Park
Cahuita National Park
2,326 Reviews
Cahuita, Costa Rica
acworth, ga
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

I honeymooned in Costa Rica, September 2010. I have been back 6x since. My wife and I are truly into adventure and being away from the touristy areas whenever possible. Remember September is the second rainiest month in CR, behind October. My experience with September is rain every night, but more nice days than not. My advice: Stay away from San Jose for a honeymoon, rent a car, practice your Spanish, ignore most tours(drive yourself), stay in the Nicoya peninsula away from Coco. We spent three weeks and cried when we had to leave. Have fun and congrats

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Nicoya
Nicoya
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Just a correction on u-luv-me's statement on the weather, the Caribbean side has a different pattern compared to the Pacific side and September and October are beautiful here, hardly any rain and a calm ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
acworth, ga
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Geckoeslodge is right on the Carribean rainy season. I might have come off wrong in my comment. The rainy season, in my opinion, is the best time to go to Costa Rica. Its called the 'green season' for a reason, and there are less tourists!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Take a look at Manuel Antonio, noone leave disappointed out of there, it's simply beautiful no matter where you stay, super quiet and relaxing, I'd go for hotels like http://www.sicomono.com that just take the best of both worlds, beach hotels and mountain hotels, reully wonderful, they also have a honeymoon suite, which I assume you'll want to get, and it's astonishing in all honesty.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September 2013 honeymoon

Manuel Antonio is, like La Fortuna, very, very touristy. I agree it would make a lovely place for a honeymoon, but not if one is looking to avoid a touristy feeling.

Tortuguero would be better for turtle watching, but best of all would probably be Ostional on the Pacific side.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
Tortuguero
Tortuguero