We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rican foods?

Canton
12 posts
Save Topic
Costa Rican foods?

We are traveling to Puerto Viejo in the fall, and as picky eaters we are worried about the food options there. We are Americans, if that helps. Could you give me an idea of the types of food we will find in the area, and will we be able to find any american food? Thanks for the help!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rican foods?

The food in Puerto Viejo.....you are in for a treat! Just about anything you can think of, you can find it. Spicy Caribbean fare, falafels and hummus, Agrentinian grilled steak, civeiche and seafood pizza, fresh eggs, chorizo and fruit, homemade hamburgers, authentic Italian.....I could go on! And of course, some of the best coffee and chocolate you'll ever taste. Be prepared to take your time enjoying your drinks and the atmosphere while you wait for your meal.....you'll be on Caribbean time :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rican foods?

Sorry, I just caught the picky part! The Point Sportsbar is a good option for pub grub and burgers. Bread and Chocolate for sandwiches, Pecora Nera in Cocles for pasta, lots of pizza options too!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rican foods?

Going to Pecora Nera for a pizza would be a waste, Ilario, the owner is an amazing chef and serves great (not cheap) food. There is a huge choice, Italian, Argentinean, Middle eastern and mixed. Try Cafe Viejo, La Pecora Nera, Malbec, Jungle Love and El Refugio. Even (lol) Americans will love these!

Canton
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rican foods?

Thanks for the info! So, we will be able to find "normal" american foods at least? I don't want to starve! And when I say I am picky.. I am REALLY picky. Haha.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rican foods?

"normal" american foods at least? I am sorry but maybe you should just stay at home. You are not a traveller. I think Disneyworld would be more suited to your taste. Please don't be offended by my comment. I am just being honest, and trying to save you some grief!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rican foods?

Yeah..... what do you consider "normal" American foods? Rice, cheese, chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, beef, pork, cucumbers, bananas, pineapples, pizza? Give us an idea, please. Because "normal" American food can be anything from chicken nuggets to tacos to fried rice to pizza.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,379 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rican foods?

Do you eat chicken, fish, beef, rice, beans, and fresh fruit? If so, you shouldn't starve. Breakfasts tend to be fairly American at a lot of places with eggs, cereal, yogurt, etc. Might be good for you to try some new things though. If you see something called a casado, that's a good bet - usually a pairing of the meat of your choice with rice, beans, salad, etc. A lot of the food tends to be simple unless you go to a fairly sophisticated restaurant. You'll also see some American brands at the bigger grocery stores.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
821 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rican foods?

We stayed there for a week in January, and although we loved Puerto Viejo, we weren't big fans of the food there. It was OK but not great. We found the food so much better in Arenal and on the Pacific side of CR. It's totally a personal taste thing, but I don't like the way they make rice and beans on the Caribbean side, yet couldn't get enough of it on the pacific. Different way of making it. If where you are staying has cooking facilities, you won't have a problem making your own meals. We ended up cooking in most of the time. There are several grocery stores there, a good butcher shop in town, and a fish shop with nice local fish and shrimp. I did hear Bread and Chocolate restaurant was supposed to be really good, but it was closed the day we went to try it out. The Point sports bar has not bad food, depending what you order. Oh, there is also a local farmers market on the weekend (Sarurday morning I think) where you can nice fresh fruit and veggies quite cheaply. And the chocolate is to die for!

Canton
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rican foods?

You know, I think I'm allowed to experience the world and still be a picky eater, thank you very much.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rican foods?

No one is denying you the right to be a picky eater - but there are just a few questions about your likes/dislikes so we can answer you more completely.