We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

Denver, CO
1 post
Save Topic
Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

My 6 1/2 yo sons are traveling to guanacaste with us. The tour companies will take children as young as age 4 on the zip lines! I'm not completely comfortable with taking my children on a canopy tour but don't want to regret missing out on this experience if it's very safe, fun, and most kids love it. I'm trying to gauge if it's common for 6 yo to zip line. We are leaving in less than 3 weeks.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

I wouldn't worry about it. We ziplined yesterday and saw 2 kids about that age loving it. They are very safe...and if the kids get nervous, they can go down with a guide. There are also a few opportunities to quit on your way down, but I would encourage you and your kids to stick with it because after the first few lines, you really get comfortable and start to appreciate the awesome ride! My kids are 10 and 13. Do NOT miss the Tarzan swing. Talk yourself into that - it was super!!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

To me, that's a little bit young. On the ziplines that we've done, the minimum allowable age was 8 years old. On our last trip, we had one kid crying his eyes out because he was terrified, but it really completely depends on the child. Some are adventurous and some are more cautious. If they don't weigh enough, they will be clipped to a guide. We've also seen adventurous kids that were mad they couldn't go on their own! It really depends on the personalities of your own kids.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

I wouldn't send a 6 year old down the ziplines at cloud forest lodge, too much climbing, too many lines, some way to long especially with the wind. Find a place with a few ziplines that are short. if they really want to go.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

Completely agree with volcanogirl... it totally depends on the kids, and what you think they can handle. At that age, a tandem ride with a guide as opposed to riding solo might be a good option. You can ask about that from the tour provider ahead of time, and also ask about exit routes from the tour itself, so you have all this up front and don't get stuck on something you can't get out of if the little ones have a meltdown.

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

Went with our 5 yr old recently and he loved it. He adamantly did not want to go, but they let him do a test line and he was hooked. He went with a guide. I would not have been comfortable sending him alone, personally. We picked a canopy tour that did not have a lot of difficult climbing. So, I'd say just be careful about which company you go with and ask a lot of questions.

Cleveland, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

We went on a ziplining tour with our kids, the youngest who as 4. Our 4 year old went by himself and absolutely loved it. We were very anxious about the safety issues for a young child but once we were all harnessed in we felt safe. We did our tour at Hacienda Baru in Dominical which is known to be a tame course.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

Way to young ...any soft adventure tour offer some risk...even death...in my case...no way I will take my 6 years old kid to any canopy...no way Jose!

As we said in our country...is better a mad parent ...than a dead passenger...

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

Agree with Roadadvisor. I think 6 is too young, unless he/she is with a guide, but not alone! Although there are some companies that will take a 6 year old, some will only take 8 and older and personally I think that is being more responsible.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
362 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

I completely agree with Roadadvisor and Allyam on this issue. I have never actually done a zip lining/canopy tour myself, but I have watched people do it. Judging from this and my understanding of children, based on 37 years of teaching 3-9 year olds, I would never recommend that children under the age of 8 be allowed to do this without being hitched to a guide. Children are far too unpredictable...they may seem excited and capable one moment, and the next they are helpless, frightened, and out of control. They do not know their own limitations at this point in their lives...that is why we adults are there to guide and protect them WISELY. Be responsible, folks. Do not do it unless they have a guide...PERIOD...over and out. Yes, I'd rather have a mad parent on my hands than a dead child. Four year olds? Six year olds? All they have to do is let go...would anybody really be willing to take that chance? Common sense, people.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Age 6 too young for canopy tours?

You're heavily strapped in with all kinds of safety harnesses when you zipline. You can completely let go and nothing will happen. Kids will have to be able to brake themselves if they go alone though.