We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental additional fees?

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental additional fees?

We rented a mid-size SUV from Dollar at San Jose airport for 9 days.

The base price was around $500, but with full insurance (Dollar agent did the hard sell and we took it) and GPS was $1161 total (original $1301). What puzzles me is we saw the total, and said that it seemed too expensive, so the agent said "I tell you what, I can take $140 off the total as a discount." What was that $140? If I said nothing, who gets that $140? Dollar? The agent? That didn't leave me feeling too good. It was also offered to our friends who were traveling with us after he complained of his total rental price. Anyway, the trip is going great, but having booked a similar car in Mexico in July for 9 days at a cost of $650 w/ insurance it makes me wonder.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental additional fees?

The 140 US$ offered to you was a discount. You got the 140 US$.

The final price was OK for Costa Rica, in that period with all insurances (zero deductible) and GPS a vehicle like Hyundai Tucson is not lower then 1000 US$.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
2. Re: Car rental additional fees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 05:17