We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland Transportation

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Overland Transportation

My brother and I (23&25) are doing a circuit around CR. Interbus and Grayline are $$$ compared to public buses but we are having difficulty finding routes on public buses.

visitcostarica.com has a pdf but those routes all seem to go through SJ unless I am missing something.

costaricabybus.com has an ebook - is it worth the money or will I find the same thing?

Also any advice regarding public buses/connections/layovers etc is greatly appreciated!

Routes (potential):

Puerto Viejo/Cahuita to Tortuguero

Tortu to Monteverde

MV to Rincon de la Vieja (Rinconcito lodge)

Rincon to Corcovado (bahia Drake or P jimenez)

then to Chirripo

MUCHAS GRACIAS

Maleku Tours
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Costa Rica Best Trips
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours
Issys Tours Costa Rica
River Rafting & Tubing, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overland Transportation

Try this link www.thebusschedule.com . For Osa peninsula check rates of Nature Air either from Liberia or from SJO.

From San Jose to Puerto Viejo (Cahuita) is easy, check for directo bus. From PV to Tortuguero use bus till Limon, then taxi to Moin, then boat till Tortuguero. From Tortuguero exit by boat via La Pavona then to La Fortuna town near Arenal volcano. From here use van-boat-van service to reach Monteverde (several operators). From Monteverde toward Rincon I am lost, someone else will assist you here. As said befor take the plane to Osa.

Costa Rica has a useful bus infrastructure, but it might be complicated as arrival and departure stations might be on different locations in town. With enough time on hand you will surely be able to reach all destinations by using a local buses (or boats in Tortuguero).

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overland Transportation

From Monteverde to Rincon de la Vieja: Look at thebusschedule.com for monteverde to liberia. then you can get transportation to Rincon de la Vieja or take the bus to Curubande and get a taxi there to the entrance to the National Park.

Mos towns have only one bus station. Some don't have an actual station, just bus stops.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overland Transportation

If you are watching your budget then the local bus will be way cheaper than other options, but as you have realized it is usually faster to go in and out of San Jose than to avoid it. The local bus can be a great way to meet local people too - not much opportunity for that on the interbus. A downside is how much longer journeys may take you. Use common sense with your belongings if you decide to take local buses.

4. Re: Overland Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 05:17