We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

After extensive reading on this forum and some advice from other readers which has been extraordinarily helpful, I've created the following itinerary for an August visit with two active 8 year olds. Any comments/suggestions/activity or guide recommendations would be appreciated.

Day 1 SJO, pick up rental car, Xandari for 2 nights, visit Zoo Avenue

Day 2 Day trip to Poas Volcano, LaPaz Waterfall Garden and possibly Toucan Rescue Ranch

Day 3 Drive to Puerto Viejo--Le Cameleon for 3 nights

Day 4 Sloth and Jaguar Shelters/beach

Day 5 Snorkeling at Cahuita (assuming water is clear)/beach

Day 6 Drive to Pavona--take boat to Tortuguero--Tortuga Lodge 2 nights

Day 7 Tortuguero

Day 8 Boat/drive Pavona to Sarapiqui--Selva Verde 2 nights (alternatively, could do Monteverde on the backside of Arenal/LaFortuna instead--comments welcome.

Day 9 La Selva/Tirimbina Chocolate Tour/possible raft trip

Day 10 Drive to Arenal/La Fortuna--stay 4 nights--looking at Springs, but currently Tabacon and Nayara have much better deals

Days 10-14 Proyecto Asis animal shelter, Sky Trek zip-lining, La Fortuna waterfall hike, Hanging Bridges hike, La Roca waterfall rappelling, Eco Termales hot springs and possibly Cano Negro

Day 14--Drive to Xantari 1 night

Day 15 SJO

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,279 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

Logistically sound itinerary. In Cahuiita add hike in the National Park. Sarapiqui and Monteverde are two very different areas. With Monteverde you will add two rough drives to your itinerary; but it is feasible so is really up to you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

We are going in August too and ultimately decided to drop a location and add more time in the Puerto Viejo/Cahuita area. Unlike most of Costa Rica, the weather is supposed to be very good there in August and there is a lot to explore. Three nights might not be enough time to take advantage of what the area has to offer.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

I like your trip. I may copy parts of it for our trip later in the year. I hope you will get back to this forum and let's us know how it goes.

What sources did you use besides tripadvisor for your research?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

Solid trip. I definitely would keep Sarapiqui over Monteverde.

I would also consider doing it in this order:

Xandari

Arenal

Sarapiqui

Tortuguero

Cahuita

But, your order works too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

Mostly TA and some other internet research. Travel & Leisure had a list of top CR hotels. I wanted my kids to see the turtles, so that dictated Tortuguero and the Carribean side. Although my wife and I have been to CR before, we had never done the Carribean side, so it will be new for us too. I also use Luxury Link which is Conde Nast's discount travel site. I booked 2 locations thru that site (Xandari and Le Cameleon) at very good rates.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

I wouldn't revise your plans, but during the right moon phase from August-November Playa Ostional on the Pacific side is probably the best turtle beach in the Western Hemisphere--hundreds to thousands of nesting turtles per night.

Something to keep in mind for a future trip.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

Thanks.

8. Re: Comments on 15 day proposed itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 06:17