We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by bus with small children?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel by bus with small children?

Considering a trip going from Monteverde and Arenal to Manuel Antonio (flying in/out of San Jose). We would be trying to do the entire thing w/o renting a car (i.e. bus to destinations, shuttles to attractions, etc.). We have kids 3, 7 and 10. Has anyone done this kind of trip before? What are the bus rides like for kids?

thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel by bus with small children?

Actually, the more I look into it, the more likely I think we are to do something like Interbus or Grayline. Any experiences?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel by bus with small children?

Traveling by public bus with your small children will be fine. Costa Rican families do it all the time. It is the least expensive way to get from place to place. However - it is not as convenient as the shared van shuttles which provide hotel to hotel service.

Getting from Monteverde to Arenal to Manuel Antonio will require transfers, as you can see here: www.thebusschedule.com/cr/

For booking one of the shared van shuttles, you can use www.shuttlebus.co.cr or www.anywherecostarica.com or www.easyridecr.com

Of course, you could try the public bus for part of the time and use the shuttles also.

The best way to get to/from Monteverde/Arenal is using the taxi/boat/taxi service.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 13:48
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel by bus with small children?

Public bus is fine with young children. As Hattie says, Costa Rican families do it so there is a higher tolerance level for crying and general child noise than on public transport in Europe or the US. It is a very cheap way of travel and a great way of meeting 'real' people. It is nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the view and not be worrying about maps or driving. Just check the schedules so that you can travel at the best time to fit in with meal and nap times - nothing worse than an over-tired hungry child!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel by bus with small children?

If you're looking at doing Interbus or Grayline, I'd consider hiring a private driver. A private driver charges a flat rate while Interbus and Grayline charge per person, so the cost would end up being about the same, and a driver will operate on your own schedule, stop when you want to, etc. We always just book drivers through our hotels when we reserve them, and it's pretty easy and convenient. To go between Arenal and Monteverde, you can use Desafio's Jeep Boat Jeep service. It cuts across the lake, has pretty views, and is pretty affordable.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel by bus with small children?

Well thousands of our kids ride buses daily...and no problem at all...just common sense...in your case and base on your info...I think you csn go gor...I honedtly think that you can deal with public buses...you do not need any private service...

Roadadvisor

6. Re: Travel by bus with small children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:17