We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel first time

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel first time

I am 19 years old and have just finished a 2 week tour with G Adventures, I visited puerto Viejo, tortugero, sarapiqui, monteverde, la fortuna, and manuel Antonio.

I now have 12 nights alone and have no idea where to go. I am currently in Jaco but am not enjoying it and am starting to feel homesick as I haven't met any other single travellers.

Where do you suggest to visit? I would like to try yoga and do some exercise classes, and also visit some butterfly or open gardens, whilst feeling safe and meeting others!

Many thanks in advance, Megan

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel first time

I have seen many solo travellers (i assume they were solo) hanging around backpacker's hostels in Monteverde. For yoga classes search Montezuma / Santa Teresa area.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel first time

Also nice and I see a lot of solo travellers...Manuel Antonio...just one hour from where you are...easy to check it out...

Roadadvisorl

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel first time

Agree with xelas, look into the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area since you've already been to Manuel Antonio. Lots of single travelers there and you will have easy access getting there from Jaco.

For yoga, look into the Horizon Hotel, in Santa Teresa. The owners, Yoav & Gali, run yoga classes there every day on a lovely platform overlooking the ocean. You don't have to be staying there to attend.

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel first time

Thankyou for the advice, I am heading to Montezuma in the morning and will see how it goes from there. Any ideas on maximum time to spend in Alajuela before heading home again? I was thinking 3 days but don't know if there is much to do there. Thanks!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel first time

Three days might be a bit too long, if alone in Alajuela. However, you might meet someone, local maybe, to show you around San Jose, and thus 3 days will fly by fast.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel first time

For some ideas: anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…tours

Poas and the Doka tour are very popular. There's also Zoo Ave and The Butterfly Farm. I like to just get an ice cream and then sit in the park and do some "people watching."

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo travel first time

Thanks for the replies, I am in Montezuma and am enjoying it here. I have 4 nights here which takes me to Saturday morning. I fly home on the 11th at 6am so ideally would like to stay in alajuela Wednesday 8th, Thursday, and Friday, so only having 2 full days there.

That leaves me with Saturday-Wednesday morning (4 nights) to work with. Any suggestions as to where to go? I looked in to mal pais but fear it may be a bit small and I might get bored and lonely! Any ideas?

Thanks!

8. Re: Solo travel first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 05:18