We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pasteurized milk in costa rica

austin,tx
6 posts
Save Topic
Pasteurized milk in costa rica

We will be traveling to Quepos, Costa Rica in July and are taking our 19 month old grandson. Are there stores in this area that will carry pasteurized milk, yogurt and bottled water. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

There are thousands of stores all over Costa Rica that carry pasteurized milk (!!??), yogurt of all types and bottled water. Both the food and water in Costa Rica are of excellent quality and you will find lots of high-quality fresh fruits and vegetables. Almost everywhere, the water is drinkable right out of the tap so many people buy a bottle of water and then just refill it. If there is a temporary problem with the water in an area, your lodging will let you know. I know that some people don't like the taste of the water in some of the coastal areas - but that's true of just about anywhere.

I realize that you may not know a lot about Costa Rica, but we are pretty civilized, all in all. (It kind of reminds me of my son's mother-in-law who asked me if my house in Costa Rica had indoor plumbing. Lol)

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
austin,tx
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

LOL!!! I love your response, and very appreciative of the information. My concern of course is for my grandson and want to make sure we have options easily available for him. We are renting a house in Quepose and are looking forward to seeing the area.

I did know you had indoor plumbing! LOL!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

You and your grandson will be fine, texasue. You can even find Jif peanut butter and Frosted Flakes (although they are called "Zucaritas") as well as anything else you might need. Supermarkets in the Quepos area have a wide range of products.

(PS: Love Austin.....)

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Austin
Austin
Texas
Canada
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

Interestingly most often it is UHT (ultra high temperature) pasteurized so it can be stored on the shelf until opened. Although fresh pasteurized is also available.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,953 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

Not problrm at all plenty milk snd water...

Roadadbispr

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

Dos Pinos is the main dairy producer in Costa Rica - though not the only one. Their products are excellent and varied. The milk is pasteurized and homogenized. You can find whole, skim and 2%. You can also find other brands of yogurt like Dannone. Dos Pinos has great Ice cream!!! (helado)

You can check out their web site for the range of products available. (Spanish only - but lots of pictures)

www.dospinos.com/app/cms/www/index.php…

As for stores to buy all this good stuff and water in the Quepos?Manuel Antonio area you won't have any problems. Just before Quepos is Maxi Pali - owned by Walmart. it is a large grocery and everything else store like Walmart. There is a Pali supermarket right in Quepos. Right across from the bus station is Supermas a large store - family owned that has a lot of imported products as well as local stuff. And in Manuel Antonio is Super Joseth. There are 2 branches. The main is about a mile and a half from the beach along the road. The second Super Joseth Express is right across the public beach near Marlin's Restaurant.

Enjoy your stay in the area.

pura vida

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Quepos
Quepos
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
nebraska
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

Most often milk is in a box on the shelf and not in a jug in the cooler. It tastes a little different but is fine for cereal & cooking ( and drinking if you're not picky).

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

Hmm... well, pretty much every store I go to has "regular" pasteurized milk in a cooler. In a very tiny store, maybe not.

Portland,OR
Level Contributor
9 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

Hi HattieCostaRica and Texasue,

Thanks for this discussion because I too will be visiting Manuel Antonio later this June/early July and was wondering about whether or not Costa Rica has pasteurized milk that was fresh not boxed. I have 4 kids ages 4, 6, 9 and 11 that are big milk drinkers but they don't really like the taste of the boxed milk. They tried the high temperature pasteurized boxed milk in Puerto Rico and we had a hard time getting to even eat cereal over there. We even tried putting some chocolate powder in the milk in hopes that they'd drink it but the taste that's produced in the high temp pasteurizing process comes through no matter what we did. Thanks for letting us know about the stores in the Manuel Antonio/Quepos area. Someone told me about Maxi Pali but didn't know about the others. What is Super Joseth? Is it also like a Walmart but in Manuel Antonio? This is our first visit to Costa Rica so i'm a little apprehensive with the kids but we're very excited.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Quepos
Quepos
Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pasteurized milk in costa rica

We're in CR now with kids about your ages, DVIPortland. The only store where I haven't seen fresh Dos Pinos 2% is a "minisuper"just off the highway. Otherwise, I've even seen it in a gift shop. It passes the taste test with my family- even for my dairy farm raised husband. It's nothing like long life boxed stuff (which tastes like powdered milk to me).

Texasue, there are all sorts of yogurt options at MaxiPali as well, Yoplait and all. We've been drinking water from the tap without any issues.