We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do we go now?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Where do we go now?

We went to CR 3 years ago and had the best family trip ever. Stayed at Tabacon in Arenal then Bosque del Cabo in Osa. Stayed one night in between in San Jose and caught Alajuela vs Saprisa soccer game that we loved. It will be my wife, me and our 2 boys aged 16 and 14. Life is short and I want entirely new places. We loved surfing at Matapalo beach and horseback riding on beach in Osa. Loved seeing the wildlife and hiking down there too. In Arenal enjoyed waterfall repelling and rafting as well as the La Fortuna waterfall and El Salto in town. Want to spend only 7 or 8 days this time and would prefer not to take multiple internal flights. We love experiencing the culture and are not fans of big generic hotels or all inclusives. We do want upscale accommodations and loved our hotels last time. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks. Want to experience Pura Vida otra vez.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do we go now?

I forgot to mention that we will be traveling in March 2014. Thanks.

2. Re: Where do we go now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 03:35
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,961 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do we go now?

So two locations then. This time I would suggest Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo combo. If active enough you might even took a Pacuare river rafting on your way to Tortuguero. For upscale accommodations others will chime in.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do we go now?

Tortuguero and the south Caribbean would be a great combination. Tortuguero has a few very upmarket lodges, but they are out of town. If you want to feel part of things, you may wish to consider the very highly recommended Casa Marbella. For the south Caribbean, look at www.cahuita.cr or www.puertoviejosatellite.com for a whole range of places to stay, including upmarket lodging.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,961 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do we go now?

I have really enjoyed the dock at Casa Marbella, but this accommodation is way below Tabacon or BdC level, Sara. That's why I did not suggest it to OP.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
733 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do we go now?

OK, following up on Sara and Xelas recs, I'd recommend doing an overnight on the Pacuare (Pacuare Lodge if you can swing it), and then mixing Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo.

In Tortuguero, you'd probably want Tortuga Lodge, although Manatus is ostensibly more luxurious, I think the guides, service and overall vibe is a bit better at Tortuga Lodge.

In PV/south Caribbean, Treehouse Lodge has the most unique upscale lodgings, although no pool. For a place with a pool, I'd suggest either Shawandha or Cariblue for you.

I'd also recommend squeezing in a couple nights at Selva Bananito, if you can.

Alternately, you could head to Malpais/Santa Teresa, or down in the Uvita area, or to Drake Bay (the other side of the Osa), or Rincon de la Vieja, or....

7. Re: Where do we go now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 00:35
Edited: 22 May 2013, 00:35
Baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do we go now?

Thanks for the advice. My concern is whether pacuare then tortuguera then puerto Viejo is too ambitious for 7 or 8 nights with all the travel. I guess I need to look into the details more. Does anyone have a feeling one way or the other about arenas del mar in Manuel Antonio with rancho pacifico in Uvita?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do we go now?

You can visit Manuel Antonio. Manuel Antonio has beautiful scenic views and beaches. Do not miss the National Park of Manuel Antonio, it treasures amazing wildlife. You can discover rainforests through Canopy tours, and check out coffee and cocoa plantations.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do we go now?

you haven't really been to costa rica until you've been to tortuguero. and the best location/price/quality combination is casa marbella, very spartan, spotlessly clean and the dock alone is worth the price paid. no matter where you stay, be sure to go on casa marbella's jungle river tour into the national park. http://casamarbella.tripod.com/id3.html