We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Buses

kentucky
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Public Buses

Trying to decide between renting a car and public transportation. Doesn't seem to make sense to do private shuttles because I think car rental would not be that much more. Riding the bus might be a fun adventure. My main concern about public buses is keeping our luggage from being stolen. I think we will each have a suitcase about the size of a carry on bag and a couple of small backpacks we can keep with us . Any suggestions on how to keep it safe. Thanks1

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Buses

If you are taking the bus, keep your luggage close to you at all times. The buses are definitely cheap, but if you are coming for a short trip, you might waist a lot of time waiting btw buses. For information on bus schedule take a look at www.thebuschedule.com/costarica.

A car rental goes from $45.00 per day compact stander car to a $65.00 4x4 stander with basic insurance. Vamos Rental car company is one of the cheapest, although I use National Rental car more often, they have more car available in case you need a car replacement for some reason, i.e. flat tire, car problems.

I hope this helps!

Jeanine

blog.dominicalwaverider.com

kentucky
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Buses

Thanks! Do the buses have overhead bins? Or does luggage go under the bus?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Buses

Luggage goes underneath. Some bus companies now have a system where you are given a ticket and your bag is given the matching half so that no one can walk off with it. If you aren't on this type of bus, then hang your head out of the window when it stops and the compartments underneath are opened just to be on the safe side. I've never heard of anyone having their bag stolen from under the bus though. Thieves know that the valuable items such as your cash, camera, ipod etc will be in hand luggage. Don't put bags above you unless you plan to spend your journey watching them, ditto on the floor by your feet. I was once on a bus where the person in front of a tourist stole their wallet from a bag by opening it from under the seat. Your best bet, is to have your bag on your knees and don't bring loads of expensive stuff if you're going to travel by bus and then your worries will be lessened! I love going by bus, you have no worries about maps, directions and can admire the view. Of course, you are then tied to bus schedules. A private driver or renting a car would give you more freedom to travel when and where you want, with bathroom and food breaks when you choose! Have a safe trip!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Buses

Just an FYI, gas here is expensive unfortunately approx. $5.50 per gallon. So if you go the rental route, remember to add that into the budget : )

5. Re: Public Buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:17