We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out travel agent suggested CR

canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Out travel agent suggested CR

My husband and I are looking for a short getaway. We are active seniors and would be looking for walking/hiking and cultural activities---not ziplines etc.!! Would CR be a good choice for us? What temperatures would be usual for early June? We have never done a all-inclusive resort and that is what is being recommended. Comments please!!!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

Costa Rica could work well for you. It's really all about "nature" (with a few zip lines thrown in....)

But I don't recommend an all-inclusive. It's really not necessary in Costa Rica - there's a great tourist infrastructure everywhere you go and no need to be isolated and separated from everything by staying at an AI. There is excellent lodging available wherever you go - and in various price ranges - as well as an assortment of good restaurants.

As for temperatures in June - it depends on where you go. Most of the lowland and beach areas will be hot -- 90's during the day -- but with a little elevation, the temperature is pretty mild. In many areas, there will be a shower late afternoon or evening that will cool things off.

There are hiking, "nature" and cultural activities no matter where you go. You just need to make some decisions about how long you can visit and what areas interest you. Some helpful information:

1. There are two international airports: SJO San Jose and LIR Liberia. Where you go in the country will depend somewhat on which airport you fly into since they are about 4 hours apart. LIR Liberia is the closest to beach towns -- both Playas del Coco and Playa Hermosa are about 20-30 minutes from the airport and from either of these, there are excellent day trips available for hiking, etc.

2. This will give you some ideas of travel times and distances: www. yourtravelmap.com

3. This is a great resource: www.anywherecostarica.com Good descriptions of various areas of the country. Also this -- www.govisitcostarica.com

4. Around 25% of Costa Rica is held in conservation land of one sort or another (in addition to marine reserves) and this is a good overview of the National Parks: www.costarica-nationalparks.com There are over 800 species of birds in Costa Rica, as many as in all of North America.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 19:15
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

Hi littledodi,

Although there are several AIs in Costa Rica, it is generally accepted by many people that doing AI in Costa Rica is not the best way to make the most of what CR. has to offer. CR has many smaller and more interesting hotels that let you have a far better flavour of what the country has to offer. So if you are not the kind who are specifically looking for AI my recommendation would be not to even look at that for Costa Rica. If you want AI there are many places like Mexico, the Dominican Republic or Cuba to name a few that do it better than Costa Rica.

The thing is that the larger AIs have deep pockets and can offer Travel Agents Fam Trips and better commissions than most of the other places. So it is in a Travel Agent's interest to promote them.... (I would be curious if the TA is recommending a specific resort)

That said, Costa Rica does have a lot to offer and from what you say about yourselves, it looks like the kind of place you could enjoy. There are alot of opportunities for walking , hiking enjoying nature and seeing wildlife. Not sure what you include in "culture" but away from resorts there is lots of opportunity to experience the local way of life and culture.

As for weather, it will vary depending on what part of the country you choose - but in general in June it will be very warm and may rain especially in the afternoons. June is part of the "green season"

This link will give you an idea of the average weather conditions for the various areas.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/city.php3?c=CR&countryname=Costa+Rica

I personally would recommend that if you decide on CR you should choose 2 areas of the country that interest you = probably a mountain area and a beach area. Do a bit of research and then book your hotels and arrange transportation. If you fly into San Jose, a popular combination - but by no means the only one is Arenal and the Manuel Antonio area. If you fly into Liberia - Arenal or Rincon de La Vieja and one of the many Guanacaste beaches.

Once you have done a bit of research and have a list of places you are considering, you could come back to the forum with more specific questions.

That is not to say that if you choose an AI in Costa Rica you won't enjoy it. You can still take tours and see some of the attractions CR has to offer.

Pura Vida

raquel

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

I live in the Toronto area. A number of years back I suggested to my wife we try Costa Rica, she looked at me like I had two heads, end result we've been back 7 times. I agree with hattie about AI's but I but I also think for a first timer AI might not be a bad idea just so one can get use to the country, how to get around the airports etc. As for a Canadian tour company you only have Sunwing or Nolitours to choose from and I dont think either does Costa Rica in the summer months. Then you have Air Canada vacations but prices are triple and they come all year.

Toronto
Level Contributor
74 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

Air Canada introduced a new service to Costa Rica called Air Canada Rouge, it's the ONLY direct flight I could find. Unfortunately I think it starts service in July. The prices are competitive with the high end of the cheaper prices you find but it's saves 2 hours. It's only about 5 hours vs 7 hours with a 45 min layover in San Salvador. Perhaps you should check to see if the vacation packages have went down due to their dedicated service?

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

I say your travel agent is spot on about Costa Rica EXCEPT for the All Inclusive portion. Costa Rica is a beautiful country and Ticos are wonderful non-pushy people (this is NOT Mexico where you are constantly being asked to buy, buy, buy!). Pick a hotel that allows you to experience the culture instead of being enclosed in an artificial world. I have nothing against AI's, just appreciated going to the local sodas for dinner and experiencing the local flavor that I would not have had if I had been catered to behind the gates of a hotel. I have been all over the world and Costa Rica is the only country I have left with tears in my eyes....it's that special. Enjoy - Pura Vida!

canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

Your e-mail kind of confirmed our thinking.! We have decided that CR is just too interesting to put a trip together on short notice and without enough time for research and plan. So, we are going to Cuba. Will try out our first AI for 6 nights and then on to Havana for 8 nights on our own. We will certainly plan a trip to CR at another time. Thanks for your reply!

canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

Thanks for your insights! We have decided that CR is much to interesting a country to visit without having done our 'homework. We' ll do our 'short break' to Cuba instead. CR will be on our bucket list for sure, though!

Edited: 28 May 2013, 03:39
8. Re: Out travel agent suggested CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 07:17