We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itinerary, shoes, locks/security, and keeping cameras dry

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
346 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
My itinerary, shoes, locks/security, and keeping cameras dry

I'm a solo woman going to Costa Rica this August for two weeks (getting there Saturday mid afternoon and leaving Sunday early afternoon 2 weeks later).

Here's my rough itinerary-

San Jose (probably just that afternoon and leaving the following morning, so not spending a lot of time there)

Caribbean Coast (Puerto Vieja? Cahuita? Tortuguero?)

Arenal Volcano/La Fortuna Area

Monteverde

Guanacaste area (which place/beach? can't decide)

Manuel Antonio/Quepos and/or Montezuma?

I'm thinking maybe spending 2-3 days at each area, except San Jose, which I will probably only spend the first afternoon and get back the day before I had to leave. Which place you think needs more time and which needs less?

I love seeing exotic animals, gorgeous scenery, local culture, interesting experiences, and trying new foods. Any recommendations for specific places to stay or see in any of the areas above are great.

Since August is during the "wet" season, just wondering what kinds of clothes/shoes I should bring? I was planning on bringing my tevas but I wasn't sure if I should also bring my hiking boots as well? I'm probably doing a lot of jungle/"wet" hiking so feet will probably get wet either way, but just wasn't sure since the tevas are open toe. Or should I get another pair of water shoes that's closed toes as well?

Also, was thinking about possibly getting some locks for my bags, anyone got any suggestions/recommendations? Or should I just use a carabiner? This is probably mostly for San Jose since I've heard they're notorious on pickpocketing. Speaking of security, when you are off doing something like going to the beach or canyoning or boating that you will probably get all wet, where do you keep your important stuff - like passport, cards, extra money etc? Do you keep it at the accomodations?

Finally, one last question. Since it's going to be lots of wetness and rain, should I get a waterproof cover or bags for my bag/electronics/etc? If so, which ones should I get? Any other tips on keeping cameras dry but still able to take lots of pictures? Should I wrap in plastic? Buy one of those waterproofing camera cases/bags?

Thanks!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
325 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My itinerary, shoes, locks/security, and keeping cameras dry

First, leave your passport in the safe in the hotel. Always keep a photo copy with you (with copy of date stamp as well) when you are out on your activities.

I have a waterproof pouch that I wear around my neck when snorkeling and other water activities. It holds our passport copies, money, credit card when we are out doing water activities. I wear it under my rash guard. Not sure the brand, but most sporting goods stores that cater to any water activity would have something similar.

As for locks for bags, do you mean your suitcase or a day pack? I like the brand Pacsafe and have a cross body bag that I hold in front of me; it is very comfortable.

We were in CR in August 2 years ago, and I never wore my hiking boots. Wore both Teva sandals and my Keens. For rain forrest (Corcovado) needed rubber boots. If you get there and discover you need rubber boots you can get them in CR.

2. Re: My itinerary, shoes, locks/security, and keeping cameras dry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:19