We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

Hi all. I usually bring a laptop on vacation so I can download pictures but am not sure I'll be able to keep it safe after reading that it's definitely not something I should leave in my car. I'd rather not go and buy more memory cards but I don't want to worry about my laptop either. Do most hotels have safes large enough for a laptop (and maybe a few e-readers and passports)? If not, do you have any suggestions? We plan on going to two or three areas but haven't finalized the agenda yet. Thanks for the input.

Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
#1 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Tulemar Resort
Tulemar Resort
#2 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
#1 of 58 hotels in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

Some hotel safes will be big enough --- some not.

If the hotel safe is not big enough, you can always leave your laptop at the front desk (and get a receipt.)

If you are traveling from place to place, put your laptop in a day pack or messenger bag and just take it with you when you get out of the car.

While as a general rule, it's safer not to leave anything in your car, there are some places that are better than others about this, including some National Parks, restaurants and supermarkets. In general, the more touristy and accessible an area, the bigger danger from thefts.

I live in a small town near Tenorio Volcano that has very little crime. I don't hesitate to leave stuff in my car when I go to the restaurant or supermarket - but I would never do the same thing in someplace like, say, La Fortuna.

There are also places that are reasonably safe but still a good idea to put everything out of sight.

Mentioned in this post
Tenorio Volcano National Park
Tenorio Volcano National...
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

Most hotel safes we have seen aren't big enough. I would just buy more memory cards and spare the annoyance of lugging and storing and safeguarding a laptop.

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

Have agree with racandee, I too have not seen a safe big enough for a lap top. I would also just get extra memory cards. Not having a lap top is one less thing not hanging off your shoulder at the airport etc.

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

Thanks all. I guess I'll go with some extra memory cards and leave the laptop at home this time.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
178 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

I took my IPad instead of my laptop...glad I did as the IPad fit perfectly - in one hotel I had to actually take the IPad out of the protective case to get it to fit.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

iPad is an excellent tool, also for backups. Just bring enough memory cards, they are cheap. My average is 300 photos per day. How much memory this will eat depends on the camera and settings.

7. Re: Will a laptop (etc) fit into a hotel safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:18