We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Rental Car

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Thrifty Rental Car

Hello!

I will be taking my first trip to Costa Rica in about 3 weeks (July 2-21), and I just recently reserved a rental car for my trip. I have reserved a Toyota Prado from Thrifty Rental Car at the Juan Santamaria Airport (SJO). I was just wondering if anyone has rented this type of car from Thrifty in Costa Rica before. I just want to go into my trip knowing at least a little bit about what to expect. On Thrifty's website, it says the car seats 7, is this true? What about the year of the car? Those are just a few basic questions I have. So, if you have any information about renting a Toyota Prado from Thrifty, or even just about Thrifty in general, please, let me know! Anything is greatly appreciated! I look forward to reading your responses!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty Rental Car

The Prado is a great car - think Land Cruiser and it will likely be of a recent year, maybe a couple of years old, but not some ancient hulk. And yes, it can hold 7 people but if there's a lot of luggage, part of it will need to go on top.

However, Thrifty may not be your best choice for rental car agency. If you check the first few pages of this forum, you will find a LOT of information about rental car agencies. There have been lots of problems with Thrifty - but - some people have managed to make it work.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty Rental Car

If you are renting from Thrifty, take all your correspondence with them printed out to ensure that there are not any problems with what was agreed. Do make sure that you have read up a bit on car rental, especially insurance as this is often a shock for a first time visitor. Have a great time!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty Rental Car

Good advice, Sara, but in the past, Thrifty customers have complained that even though they had a printout of their quote and all information, they were still charged more once they arrived.

L C
USA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty Rental Car

Bootleg would be an adjective upgrade for this rental company. This is the bottom of the barrel. I waited 45 minutes in line to rent a car. They had 2 customer service people working most of that time. It's nearly impossible to speak to a manager on the phone. They have a non receipt fee of $9 plus various taxes totally almost $12. They never told me I needed to show a gas receipt. If you don't produce a gas receipt with an address within 10 miles of the location you are charged even though the tank is full! No reputable company has ever told me this. There isn't a circumstance in which one should ever ever rent from Thrifty Rental Car. EVER!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty Rental Car

From a satisfied Thrifty customer- me:

tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k6…

You should check out the rates from Vacation City ($392/week for a Prado). I found that they were much better than dealing direct with Thrifty.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 18:49
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty Rental Car

Sorry. $392 was for a 5 passenger. It's $400 for a 7 passenger. Does not include the mandatory insurance.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 18:50
7. Re: Thrifty Rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 06:35